Zavkhan by Packhorse (19 days, departing 30th July)Please, note! This tour offer has expired. For similar tour offers currently available search here.
Tour Duration: 19 day(s)
Group Size: 1 - 20 people
Specialty Categories: Sightseeing Horse Riding
Season: July - August
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: No
Minimum Per Person Price: 1500 Euro (EUR)
Maximum Per Person Price: 1500 Euro (EUR)
In order to really get into the mountains of Zavkhan we need to abandon the support vehicle and load up the pack-horses. We will initially follow a similar plan to the Classic trip until we reach the abandoned hot spa, which is as far as our support vehicle can go. This will become our base camp from where we will venture south into the mountains for four days. This area is not as high as the Altai but you do still need to be prepared for thunderstorms which can spring up suddenly from nowhere.
While packhorsing we will need to make do without some of the comforts we usually provide (no wine with dinner I'm afraid!), but it does allow you to ride into areas where even the locals rarely go. One of our favorite spots is Whispering Lake, a wee gem of a place from where you can walk to the top of Marz Mountain (3025m), or even ride most of the way if you dislike walking as much as our local friends. You are welcome to help with leading the packhorses, but often they follow along on their own or are herded, rather than being led. This trip is a mix of riding with packhorses and vehicle support, which allows for periods of faster riding. As for the Classic trip, after riding we will spend a day or two relaxing out at beautiful Khar Nuur, the desert lake.
Days 1-4: As for the Classic trips above (driving from Ulaanbaatar).
Days 5-15: Riding (11-12 days), with vehicle support and pack horses.
Days 16-17: Explore the desert-steppe and lakes further west.
Day 18: Fly back to Ulaanbaatar.
Day 19: Depart Ulaanbaatar.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
- Transfers to and from the airport/train station (including arrivals before Day 1)
- Transport while in Mongolia, including support vehicle for the duration of the trip, and internal flights
- Accommodation in Ulaanbaatar for two nights (Day 1, and one night upon returning to Ulaanbaatar). If you require extra nights accommodation, we can arrange this for you
- Accommodation outside of Ulaanbaatar
- All meals for the duration of the trip, from dinner on Day 1 to breakfast on the final day
- Some wine with meals in the countryside (except when using pack animals)
- Local horse wranglers/guides
- National Park and border area entrance fees
- The fine company of John, Sam or Jennifer
- International air and train travel
- Mongolian visa
- Personal medical and travel insurance
- Entry fees into tourist attractions in Ulaanbaatar