One Week Tour around Englandoffered by supplier M05608 (read about supplier)
Tour Duration: 4 - 7 day(s)
Group Size: 1 - 5 people
Specialty Categories: Cultural Journey Archeology/History
Season: January - December
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: Yes
Minimum Per Person Price: 830 Pound Sterling (GBP)
Maximum Per Person Price: 4040 Pound Sterling (GBP)
All itineraries can be "mixed and matched". They can be cut shorter or made longer. There is no set itinerary. This is only a suggested itinerary.
Day 1: From London, drive via Winchester and the New Forest to Bath.
Day 2,3: Visit Bath, Wells and the Cheddar Gorge or explore Cotswold villages. Continue north via Stratford upon Avon to the Lake District.
Day 4,5: Spend the day enjoying the lake and mountain scenery, literary connections and glorious gardens. Travel east via York to Derbyshire.
Day 6,7: Visit the Derbyshire Peaks and Dales, Chatsworth or Haddon Hall. Return to London via Sherwood Forest, Bosworth Battlefield or Sulgrave Manor.
A brief description of the various places mentioned in the itinerary:
- Winchester: The Saxon capital of King Alfred, often used for coronations. The present cathedral dates from 1079. Jane Austen connections.
- New Forest: The forest was enclosed as a hunting area for King William I, 1079.
- Bath: World Heritage Site. Roman baths and Georgian architecture. Good shops.
- Wells: A quiet market town at the foot of the Mendip Hills with a wonderful cathedral.
- Cheddar Gorge: A narrow cleft between limestone cliffs.
- Cotswolds: Rolling hills, stone and thatch cottages and unusual village names.
- Stratford upon Avon: Birthplace and burial site of William Shakespeare.
- Lake District: Wonderful scenery of mountains, lakes, stone walls and gardens. Literary connections with Beatrix Potter, John Ruskin, William Wordsworth, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Robert Southey and Thomas de Quincey.
- York: Roman town. Medieval streets and Gothic York Minster with glorious stained glass windows. Castle Howard where "Brideshead Revisited" was filmed.
- Derbyshire Peaks and Dales: A scenic area of hills, stone walls and river valleys. The ancient custom of well-dressing. The selflessness of the plague village of Eyam.
- Chatsworth: "The Palace of the Peaks", home of the Duke of Devonshire. Famous collection of furniture and works of art.
- Haddon Hall - One of the best preserved medieval manor houses in England.
- Sherwood Forest: Part of the ancient forest survives, always associated with Robin Hood.
- Bosworth Battlefield: Where Henry Tudor defeated King Richard III in 1485, to become King Henry VII.
- Sulgrave Manor: The home of George Washington's ancestors.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
- Price varies depending on length of tour, number of people, distance covered and transportation used.
- 10% non-refundable deposit guarantees the booking. Full payment is due 4 weeks before the tour starts.
- Payments must be made in Pounds Sterling, and can be by international Money Order, Electronic Funds Transfer direct to our bank, or certified bankers’ draft. If you are already in Britain, cash is acceptable.
- Hotels, meals, road tolls and entrance fees are not included.
Click here to email this vacation offer to a friend.
Joined InfoHub: Aug 2005
If you want to travel at your own pace, enjoying your own interests, Robina Brown can make it happen for you. She has been providing sightseeing tours by car for over twenty years. She specializes in small private tours in Britain with a customized itinerary. She enjoys working with families and children. Robina is...