All itineraries can be "mixed and matched". They can be cut shorter or made longer. There is no set itinerary. This is only a suggested itinerary.
Day 1: From London, drive via Winchester and the New Forest to Bath.
Day 2,3: Visit Bath, Wells and the Cheddar Gorge or explore Cotswold villages. Continue north via Stratford upon Avon to the Lake District.
Day 4,5: Spend the day enjoying the lake and mountain scenery, literary connections and glorious gardens. Travel east via York to Derbyshire.
Day 6,7: Visit the Derbyshire Peaks and Dales, Chatsworth or Haddon Hall. Return to London via Sherwood Forest, Bosworth Battlefield or Sulgrave Manor.
A brief description of the various places mentioned in the itinerary:
- Winchester: The Saxon capital of King Alfred, often used for coronations. The present cathedral dates from 1079. Jane Austen connections.
- New Forest: The forest was enclosed as a hunting area for King William I, 1079.
- Bath: World Heritage Site. Roman baths and Georgian architecture. Good shops.
- Wells: A quiet market town at the foot of the Mendip Hills with a wonderful cathedral.
- Cheddar Gorge: A narrow cleft between limestone cliffs.
- Cotswolds: Rolling hills, stone and thatch cottages and unusual village names.
- Stratford upon Avon: Birthplace and burial site of William Shakespeare.
- Lake District: Wonderful scenery of mountains, lakes, stone walls and gardens. Literary connections with Beatrix Potter, John Ruskin, William Wordsworth, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Robert Southey and Thomas de Quincey.
- York: Roman town. Medieval streets and Gothic York Minster with glorious stained glass windows. Castle Howard where "Brideshead Revisited" was filmed.
- Derbyshire Peaks and Dales: A scenic area of hills, stone walls and river valleys. The ancient custom of well-dressing. The selflessness of the plague village of Eyam.
- Chatsworth: "The Palace of the Peaks", home of the Duke of Devonshire. Famous collection of furniture and works of art.
- Haddon Hall - One of the best preserved medieval manor houses in England.
- Sherwood Forest: Part of the ancient forest survives, always associated with Robin Hood.
- Bosworth Battlefield: Where Henry Tudor defeated King Richard III in 1485, to become King Henry VII.
- Sulgrave Manor: The home of George Washington's ancestors.
- Price varies depending on length of tour, number of people, distance covered and transportation used.
About This Supplier
Also see tour packages in:
Europe England Local Culture Cultural Journey Archeology/History
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend