Vietnam's Mighty Mekong Deltaoffered by supplier M19590 (read about supplier)
Tour Duration: 3 - 4 day(s)
Group Size: 1 - 8 people
Specialty Categories: Bicycle Touring Cultural Journey
Season: January - December
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: No
Minimum Per Person Price: 380 US Dollar (USD)
Maximum Per Person Price: 580 US Dollar (USD)
Day 1: Saigon - Cai Be - Vinh Long - Can Tho
Depart Saigon after breakfast by private van to Cai Lay (about two hours). After arrival, we'll pause for tea or iced coffee as the bikes are prepped. After, mount bikes and begin riding the flat scenic roads, passing fruit orchards and expansive, emerald rice fields en route to Cai Be. After arrival in Cai Be, board local sampan (boat) for slow drifting down the smaller branches of the Mekong River past waterfront villages and floating market, then pausing for lunch of local specialties on Binh Hoa Phuoc Island. In the afternoon, continued boating to Vinh Long and disembark for continued cycling through countryside roads. Afterwards, transfer remaining distance to Can Tho. Dinner free in town or dining at the resort. Accommodation at the French resort Victoria Can Tho. Meals: (L) and (D).
Day 2: Around Can Tho
Rise early morning to witness the beautiful sunrise over the Mekong River. After breakfast banquet, board sampan to explore the vibrant, bustling Cai Rang and Phong Dien floating markets - some of the last authentic floating markets in Asia swirling with hundreds of boats zig-zagging on the river. Afterward, mount bikes for pleasant riding under the lush green, jungle canopy in one of the most scenic areas of the Delta. After passing through numerous villages, return to the resort for cooling off in the pool. Accommodation at Victoria Can Tho. All meals are included.
Day 3: Can Tho to Saigon
After breakfast, continued biking (or optional boating by sampan) through the tranquil paths and lush canals of the area, along the scenic, back country roads stopping to visit local schools, markets and homes, and pausing for fruit tasting and tea at a longan tree orchard with a local family. After lunch, return to Saigon by private car stopping briefly in My Tho for refreshments at a local cafe. After arrival in Saigon, farewell with guide before flight out. Meals: (B) and (L).
- Chau Doc and Tra Su Reserve. After an early morning breakfast, depart Can Tho for continued cycling through the Mekong toward the border of Cambodia, along scenic country roads through rice farming villages and orchards. We'll pause en route at a fruit orchard for exotic fruit tasting and lunch of delicious regional dishes under the shade of tall palms with a local family, learning about their life in the delta, history of the area, and farming lifestyle. After photos and farewell with the family, we'll refill water bottles with iced water and remount our bicycles for more flat riding along the quieter backroads and paths that follow along the Hau River, one of the many branches the Mekong River splits into before it spills into the South China Sea.
Also visit to the Khmer pagoda at Tri Ton. Continued biking to the Tra Su Reserve, featuring picturesque mangroves and rare migratory birds. After, continued cycling or transfer by van to Chau Doc. Upon arrival in Chau Doc, we'll take leisurely hike up Sam Mountain with panoramic views over the Delta and neighboring Cambodia. Accommodation at French Victoria Chau Doc. Note: rather than the long return to Saigon by van, consider our tour extensions into Cambodia or Phu Quoc Island (below). There are also flights back from Rach Gia. All meals are included.
- Chau Doc and Phnom Penh and Angkor, Cambodia. Consider crossing over to Cambodia with Phnom Penh by riverboat. This half-day cruise up the Mekong is a beautiful one and will save the long drive back to Saigon. After a a few hours exploring the sleepy capital city, return flight to Saigon or head north for our Angkor tour. The temples of Angkor lie a short 45-minute flight from Phnom Penh and should not be missed. We can arrange all boat transfers, visa, accommodation, escorts and flights within Cambodia. Meals: (B) and (L).
- Phu Quoc Island Paradise. Come see what will one day be the new Phuket. For now, the beaches on this large island are as they were in Thailand over 30 years ago - empty. Protected from the churning South China Sea, the water is placid and white sand beaches are desolate. This tour extension will continue from Can Tho with a short flight to the island from the delta (rather than backtracking to Saigon). Also possible to reach by speedboat ferry from Rach Gia. During certain periods, we can also arrange the shorter one-hour ferry crossing from Ha Tien. Return flight to Saigon included. Ask about accommodation options on the island. See our weather chart for best months.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
Discount for children and groups of 3 or more.
- All private transport
- Meals, bottled water
- Emergency evacuation insurance
- New model Raleigh or Trek hybrid bicycle rental.
Click here to email this vacation offer to a friend.
Joined InfoHub: Jul 2009
M19590 organized the first cycling trips to Vietnam in 1992. We continue to organize the most cycling trips to Vietnam than any other company. Since then, we've expanded our trips into Thailand and Myanmar. What sets us apart? Over 90% of our tours are custom-tailored private journeys for couples, families, and...