Cycling Hanoi to Luang Prabangoffered by supplier M19769 (read about supplier)
Tour Duration: 11 day(s)
Group Size: 2 - 15 people
Destination(s): Vietnam Laos
Specialty Categories: Bicycle Touring Cultural Journey
Season: January - December
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: No
Minimum Per Person Price: 1350 US Dollar (USD)
Maximum Per Person Price: 1450 US Dollar (USD)
- Peaceful cycling through minority villages, with friendly locals unused to the presence of tourists.
- Ever changing scenery.
- Historical sites of Dien Bien Phu and Hanoi
- Crossing the quiet and less visited border at Tay Tran. Loas visa has to be obtained in advance in order to cross the land border. Laos visa on arrival can be obtained only for arrvial at the airport. We can assist to arrange the visa.
- Cycling along the Nam Ou river to experience the rural lives at its most authentic.
- Final destination is Luang Prabang, the World Heritage town
Day 1: Arrive Hanoi - Overnight train to Lao Cai. Arrive/ meet in Hanoi, afternoon brief walking tour to explore Hanoi and evening trip briefing. Overnight on train to Lao Cai. Lao Cai is on the gateways to China, Lao Cai lies at the end of the train line on the Chinese border. The border crossing slammed shut during the 1979 war between China and Vietnam and remained closed until 1993. Lao Cai is now a major hub for travellers journey between Haoi, Sapa (38km away) and Kunming. Includes: (D).
Day 2: Supan Valley afternoon ride (20km cycling). Transfer to Sapa up the mountain side and have time to fit bikes before riding into the Sapa Valley. The Queen of Mountains, Sapa sits regally overlooking a beautiful valley, lofty mountains towering over the town on all sides. Sapa is the French hill station was built in 1922. Overnight in Sapa. Includes: (B), (L), (D).
Day 3: Ta Phin Loop ride full day (30km cycling). Cycle off road track to the village of Ta Phin, when the ride will be more challenging in a loop across a steep and forested hillsides and minority villages. Overnight in Sapa. Includes: (B), (L), (D).
Day 4: Sapa – Tam Duong (Phong Tho) – Pa So (80km cycling). Cycle shortly uphill as warm up to the Tram Ton Pass, before starting a long descent ride to Binh Lu and ride a truly off the beaten track (jeep track) mixed of hard pack gravel and clay to Tam Duong and Pa So. Overnight in Pa So. Includes: (B), (L), (D).
Day 5: Pa So – Sin Ho - Lai Chau (now Muong Lay) (45km cycling). Take a brutal ride this day to Lai Chau and Sin Ho and get a reward of truly spectacular views. The ride is on the main road, uphill and tarmac downhill, mixed of gravel and hard pack clay. Overnight in Lai Cha. Includes: (B), (L), (D).
Day 6: Lai Chau (Muong Lay) – Tuan Giao - Dien Bien Phu (90km cycling). Take a hardest but challenging ride this day to Tuan Giao and Dien Bien Phu, on a rough tarmac terrain all the way, but you will be rewarded with the stunningly beautiful scenery and untouched remote villages. Overnight in Dien Bien Phu. Includes: (B), (L), (D).
Day 7: Dien Bien Phu – Muang Khau (70km). Early morning explore the historical sites of Dien Bien Phu. It used to be the big battle field between the French and Vietnamese when Vietnam fought again the French to get independence. Then we cycle 70km to Muang Khau by crossing Laos North-East border at Tay Tran. You have to get Laos visa in advance in order to cross Laos land border. Laos visa on arrival can be obtained only arrival at the airport. This northeast area has the least population of Laos. In the afternoon, we continue cycling to Muang Khua along Nam Ou river. Overnight in Muang Khau.
Day 8: Muang Khua to Oudomxai (75km). After breakfast, we cycle 75km on the main road to Oudomxai. This is a scenic lightly traveled road to bustling Oudomxai. During the second Indochina War, the provincial capital became the center for Chinese troops supporting Pathet Laos. Today, it is the junction of National Road 1, 2 and 4 has made its position a booming alos - China trade center. Includes: (B), (L), (D).
Day 9: Oudomxai to Pak Mong (60km). After breakfast, we fill in the water and then do a bit expercise to warm up our musscles. We begin to cycle with a tough climb with hill after hill but the scenery is magnificient. Then take a break to enjoy snack, fresh fruits and drinks to get energy before continuing to cycle to Pak Mong. Overnight in Pak Mong. Includes: (B), (L), (D).
Day 10: Pak Mong to Luang Prabang (105km). Today is our longest bike ride. Early morning, we cycle on the main road passing Ban Thabu. Then we cycle along Nam Ou river. It is an interesting to cycle along the river through villages to enjoy the rural lives. Enjoy picnic lunch on the river bank and take a power nap before heading to Pak Ou. It has the famous tourist attraction, Pak Ou caves. The end of the day, we finally arrive at Luang Prabang, the World Heritage town. Dinner and overnight in Luang Prabang.
Day 11: Free day to explore Luang Prabang. Breakfast at the hotel. Free day to explore Luang Prabang on your own. Tour Ends.
- Total Distance: 475+ kilometers
- Number of cycling days: 9 days
- Bike Rental: (Trek or Giant) included
- Road Surface: Uphill/downhill, steep & forested hillsides, routes mixed of stone, gravel, hard pack clay and paddy fields (jeep track).
- Support: All buses with A/C and experienced Driver, one 16 seats regarding group size of less 6; one 25 seats of less 12 or two 16 seats regarding group size of less 12; and one 25 seats plus a luggage van for group size of up to 24.
- Biking guide: Experienced English speaking-biking guides with enthusiastic, friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. Biking guides are first aid qualified and can maintain bikes. Their role is to deliver a safe and enjoyable tour to the clients, they manage the group, co-ordinate the driver and support vehicle, buy snacks and fruit along the way, look out for clients needs. They are cultural guides as well as pure biking…
- Accommodation: Hotels range from standard to superior classes, including simple guesthouse and local homestay (big room with partition off) in some remote areas.
- Food: Included (B = Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Dinner).
- Entrance fees: Included
- Safety: Our people take the best cares & safety for your trip.The first aid kits are provided, one doctor for group size of 16 paxes up.
- Photo taking: You can stop wherever you want for 'Kodak moment'!
- Are you a beginner or professional biker? we all care with our best efforts to make your trip superb. Enjoy your riding speed from 10km per hour up to as many more as you can.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses
- Alcoholic drinks
- Flight ticket to/from Vietnam
- Visa to Vietnam...and what is not mentioned as above itinerary.
Click here to email this vacation offer to a friend.
Joined InfoHub: Oct 2009
We are professional Cycling Tour Operator providing affordable cycling tours and other adventure tours in Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand and Laos since 1999. We provide professional cycling guides who have been passionate about cycling for many years. We aim to provide once in a lifetime adventure tours with real life...