Tepoztlán, Mexico: Sacred Valley of Magic and MysticismPlease, note! This tour offer has expired. For similar tour offers currently available search here.
Tour Duration: 6 day(s)
Group Size: 8 - 20 people
Specialty Categories: Pilgrimage/Spirituality Hiking & Trekking
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: No
Minimum Per Person Price: 1665 US Dollar (USD)
Maximum Per Person Price: 2045 US Dollar (USD)
Join author Susan Gregg for a truly transformational spiritual journey to the ancient home of Quetzalcoatl – The Feathered Serpent God. Tepoztlán is about 1,700 meters (5,500 ft) above sea level and at a distance of some 18 kilometers from Cuernavaca. Tepoztlán has become a meeting ground for different religions and practices such as New Age, Hare Krishna, traditional local shamanic healing practices, and Catholicism. It’s also well known for being a spiritual center where energy and mysticism converge. Because of this, the energy here is perfect to support our personal work and transformation.
Our home base in Tepoztlán is the very romantic Posada De Tepozteco. From here we’ll visit the sacred sites of the Tepozteco and Xochicalco Pyramids. To the north of Tepoztlán, is Tepozteco mountain and on this mountain is the pyramid of the same name. The pyramid is named after Tepoztecatl, the principal god of Pulque (an alcoholic beverage made from the sap of the agave) and important ceremonial drink.
A Sacred Pilgrimage
Tepozteco Pyramid has always been a sacred place with pilgrims traveling from as far as Chiapas and Guatemala. The pyramid can only be reached by a long and narrow flight of steps located on the south side of the temple. Tepozteco is about a five hour round-trip climb from town, but is a powerful pilgrimage and hike. (You climb around 1,300 feet in 1.2 miles!) But once you reach the summit, you will be glad you did since the views from the top are simply breathtaking.
Culture, Caves and Ruins
In addition we’ll have the opportunity to visit the Cavernas de Cacahamilpa which contain fascinating natural formations and have wonderful energy. Taking advantage of the cultural events: exploring the local market, enjoying the town’s incredible gourmet food, and dining at one of the oldest Haciendas in Mexico – are highlights of this magical spiritual journey!
Day 1: Posada del Tepozteco.
Meet the group at the Mexico City Airport at 4:00 pm. We will travel south of the city to Tepoztlán and settle in at the Posada del Tepozteco hotel and have a wonderful dinner, enjoy the town and relax. Perhaps you will try some Huitlacoche soup tonight (corn smut) it’s actually wonderful – dark, rich and densely flavored. Or maybe you’ll try the Tlayuditas de Chapulines? Tlayuditas are the local form of tostadas and chapulines are roasted grasshoppers (an important source of protein in pre-Hispanic times)! No, they do not taste like chicken, but they are salty and crunchy great with a cerveza! This trip is going to fill fast!
Days 2-5: Tepozteco and Xochicalco pyramids and the Cavernas de Cacahamilpa.
We spend the next four days exploring and moving through the Tepozteco and Xochicalco pyramids and the Cavernas de Cacahamilpa – using the energy of this region to accelerate your own personal journey toward your wholeness, holiness and your connection to the divinity that is you. There will be a group gathering each day, free time to explore the area, times of quiet, journaling and processing – as well as laughter, fun, friendship and great food.
Two days will be spent in process work at the pyramids (it will take us all day to climb up to the Tepozteco pyramid) and a half day at the Cavernas. We will do powerful ceremonies in the caves to connect with the great Earth Mother and the trip will culminate with a slow walk of release to the top of the mountain and Tepozteco pyramid – a place of sacred pilgrimage where you will let go of your limitations and reclaim your limitless spiritual essence. This will be an experience like no other. There is no definite schedule for these days because at Tepoztlán we work with the energy present in the moment!
We’ll also visit the beautiful San Gabriel de Las Palmas hacienda for lunch – this magnificent hacienda dates back to the year 1529 when Hernán Cortés ordered its construction using the Spanish technique of vaulted arches and semi-circular walls.
One event we will not miss is the local market which is a tradition in the area and which has wonderful crafts and foods to experience. We will also have time to experience some of the beautiful colonial churches in town, especially the Temple and Ex-Convent de La Natividad. Includes: (B/-/-).
Day 6: Home!
We leave for the airport today renewed and with a change of heart. New friends have been made and old friendships made stronger. We look forward to the challenge of bringing this new dream home with us! Includes: (B/-/-).
- All 5 breakfasts are included in this itinerary. But if you eat lunch and dinner at any of the local restaurants, you may need to pay in cash so plan accordingly!
- 5 nights at the Posada del Tepozteco
- All spiritual teachings and ceremonies admissions to the ruins
- Admission to the Xochicalco pyramids and Cavernas de Cacahamilpas
- All tips for our bus drivers, baggage handlers (one bag per person) and guide are included. (An $80.00 value)
- All ground transportation; unless you do not arrive with the group and separate transport is needed.
- Your round trip air flight to and from Mexico City is not included
- Lunch at the gorgeous historic hacienda San Gabriel de Las Palmas is not-included
- Other non-included items would be: phone calls, laundering services and souvenir shopping!
- Tips for the maids (we recommend $1.00 USD per person per day for the maids).
- Regarding flights:
* We suggest you arrive at the Mexico City airport on February 14th no later than 4:00 pm to take the group transport to the hotel.
* If you miss the van you will need to pay for a taxi to the hotel.
* On February 19th we suggest that you schedule your departure any time after 1:00 pm.
* If you are coming from Susan Gregg’s trip to the Baja February 9th-14th – you will be flying from La Paz to Mexico City all on the same flight around noon and will transport together to the hotel in a separate van.
- There’s the possibility of participating in a traditional Temazcal sweat lodge if you are interested.
- Feel free to make your own flights, but please confirm them with us before booking.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
- Standard Room: single occupancy $2045.00 USD
- Standard Room: double occupancy per person $1665.00 USD
- Special Standard Room: double occupancy per person $1695.00 USD
- Fun Room: quadruple occupancy per person $1675.00 USD
- Junior Suite: double occupancy per person $1815.00 USD.
- A deposit of $500.00 USD is preferred by Dec 1st.
- Final payment is due: Jan 1st . Any cancellation made in writing between: Dec 1st and Jan 1st will result in a cancellation fee of $500 USD.
- Cancelation policy:
* Any cancellation made between: Jan 1st and the trip departure will result in a total loss of your $500 USD deposit along with any non-refundable funds made to our suppliers in Mexico.
* Any cancellation made after the trip departs will result in total loss of trip funds.
* We reserve the right to cancel the trip if it is not meeting the trip minimum.
* Trip cancellation insurance is strongly recommended to cover such issues.