Heart of Wales 3-Day Self-Guided Biking Vacationoffered by supplier M16809 (read about supplier)
Tour Duration: 3 day(s)
Group Size: 1 - 20 people
Specialty Categories: Bicycle Touring Wildlife Viewing
Season: January - December
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: Yes
Minimum Per Person Price: 260 Pound Sterling (GBP)
Maximum Per Person Price: 260 Pound Sterling (GBP)
Day 1: Arrival in Hay on Wye.
Day 2: Hay on Wye to Builth Wells, 23 miles (37 km)
Head upriver from the booktown along quiet lanes, and cross the bridge at Glasbury as the River Wye turns northwards. The wide, wooded valley leads to the hamlet of Erwood, once a station stop for steam trains and now home to a craft centre and a very fine restored locomotive! Look out for Red Kites and other birds of prey overhead. Finish the day in Builth Wells, a small town on the Wye.
Day 3: (by train) Builth Wells to Knighton
Enjoy a leisurely morning aboard the Heart of Wales railway (we’ll transport your bags and bikes). There are great views of Beacon Hill and the rolling uplands of Mid Wales as you journey northwards. Just outside Knucklas, the train crosses a magnificent 13-arch viaduct – a feat of 19th century engineering. Alight in the border town of Knighton, known in Welsh as “Tref-y-Clawdd”, meaning the town on the dyke. Offa's Dyke is an ancient earthwork – once the border between the two countries. There is time in the afternoon for a circular walk or an easy ride through the tranquil Teme Valley.
Day 4: Knighton to Hay on Wye, 27 miles (43 km)
Your final day is spent following the line of the English-Welsh border back to Hay on Wye. Discover black-and-white timbered houses and sturdy stone-built churches, scattered in small hamlets throughout the borderlands. There are great views of the Brecon Beacons from the heather moorlands around Painscastle, before you descend to the Wye Valley once more.
- Duration: 2 days biking, 1 day aboard the train
- Distance: 50 miles (80 km)
- Grading: Moderate.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
The price is 260 Pound Sterling (GBP) per person based on 2 people sharing a twin/double room. Contact operator for sole traveller/single occupancy rates.
- 3 nights accommodation in quality B&Bs, Inns and hotels;
- Daily luggage transfer, so your baggage is waiting for you on arrival;
- Detailed, customized maps, with your daily ride highlighted;
- Written route notes giving directions and background information;
- 3 days hire of a comfortable, lightweight, hybrid bike supplied with handlebar bag, cycle computer, repair kit, lock and water bottle. For tandem bikes, please add 10 Pound Sterling (GBP) per person. 10% discount if you bring your own bike.
- Transfers to/from the nearest rail or bus station at the start and end of the tour.
- Meals: Cooked breakfast included. Packed lunches and evening meals can be arranged at additional cost.
- Options: Add an extra night at any stage of the tour, prices from 40 Pound Sterling (GBP) per person per night.
Click here to email this vacation offer to a friend.
Joined InfoHub: Jul 2007
M16809 is a Partnership, founded and co-owned by Anna Heywood and Luke Skinner. We provide guided and self-guided walking and cycling holidays in Wales. We hold MA degrees from the University of Cambridge and have considerable experience of the travel industry. We have also completed an independent cycling expedition...