Llanthony Priory 2-Day Self-Guided Biking Vacationoffered by supplier M16809 (read about supplier)
Tour Duration: 2 day(s)
Group Size: 1 - 20 people
Specialty Categories: Bicycle Touring
Season: January - December
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: Yes
Minimum Per Person Price: 185 Pound Sterling (GBP)
Maximum Per Person Price: 185 Pound Sterling (GBP)
Day 1: Arrival in Hay on Wye.
Day 2: Hay on Wye to Llanthony, 12 miles (19 km)
The first day begins with a climb out of the Wye Valley. A good breakfast is in order, as the road begins to ascend almost immediately! Towards the top of the climb you emerge from the hedged-in lanes onto wonderfully airy, open pasture. Fantastic views of the Wye Valley and, on a clear day, right across to the Central Beacons.
Continue to Gospel Pass – Wales' second highest motorable road, with the steep slopes of Hay Bluff towering on your left. The gradient is on your side for the next four miles as you swoop down the Vale of Ewyas to the hamlet of Capel-y-Ffin. Stay close to the Honddu River for the final few miles, to arrive at the peacefully isolated Llanthony Priory. The ruins date from the 11th century and it's an atmospheric site.
Day 3: Llanthony to Hay on Wye, 25 miles (40 km)
Your ride continues along the river valley, which contains some quirky sites – the subsiding church at Cwmyoy, with a tower that leans at a greater angle than the tower of Pisa – and one of the oldest Ginkgo biloba trees in the country at Brynhonddu! From Longtown you head west, enjoying great views of the Escley Valley and the Black Mountains as the ride continues through Michaelchurch Escley. It's a meandering ride along hedged-in lanes, with some small climbs, which brings you back to Hay on Wye.
- Duration: 2 days biking
- Distance: 37 miles (60 km)
- Grading: Strenuous.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
The price is 185 Pound Sterling (GBP) per person based on 2 people sharing a twin/double room. Contact operator for sole traveller/single occupancy rates.
- 2 nights accommodation in quality B&Bs, Inns and hotels;
- Daily luggage transfer, so your baggage is waiting for you on arrival;
- Detailed, customized maps, with your daily ride highlighted;
- Written route notes giving directions and background information;
- 2 days hire of a comfortable, lightweight, hybrid bike supplied with handlebar bag, cycle computer, repair kit, lock and water bottle. For tandem bikes, please add 10 Pound Sterling (GBP) per person. 10% discount if you bring your own bike.
- Transfers to/from the nearest rail or bus station at the start and end of the tour.
- Meals: Cooked breakfast included. Packed lunches and evening meals can be arranged at additional cost.
- Options: Add an extra night at any stage of the tour, prices from 40 Pound Sterling (GBP) per person per night.
Click here to email this vacation offer to a friend.
Joined InfoHub: Jul 2007
M16809 is a Partnership, founded and co-owned by Anna Heywood and Luke Skinner. We provide guided and self-guided walking and cycling holidays in Wales. We hold MA degrees from the University of Cambridge and have considerable experience of the travel industry. We have also completed an independent cycling expedition...