Original Wye Valley Meander 2-Day Self-guided Biking VacationPlease, note! This tour offer has expired. For similar tour offers currently available search here.
Tour Duration: 2 day(s)
Group Size: 1 - 20 people
Specialty Categories: Bicycle Touring Wildlife Viewing
Season: January - December
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: Yes
Minimum Per Person Price: 185 Pound Sterling (GBP)
Maximum Per Person Price: 185 Pound Sterling (GBP)
Day 1: Arrival in Rhayader.
Day 2: Rhayader to Builth, 38 miles (61 km), inc. optional 16-mile (20 km) loop. Today the route heads out of Rhayader along the Elan Valley Trail, following the line of the old Birmingham Corporation Railway. 8 miles after Cwmdauddwr, you reach the top of the valley at Craig Goch reservoir – and will appreciate why the region is known as the Lake District of Wales. This conservation area harbours numerous plant and animal species and is a haven for the Red Kite, a once-endangered bird of prey which is now one of Wales’ wildlife success stories.
The trail returns to Elan Village, continuing south along an old coach road, well away from the busier main road across the Valley. Newbridge on Wye provides an opportunity to stop for a well-earned cup of tea and a welshcake - a sweet, regional treat and then it's on to finish in Builth Wells, once a Victorian Spa Town and now home to the Royal Welsh Agricultural Show which draws tens of thousands of visitors annually.
Day 3: Builth Wells to Hay-on-Wye, 22 miles (35 km). An easier second day, with no big hills, and plenty of interest as you follow the Wye Valley on its meandering southerly course. Using lanes and an old railway line, the route steers clear of busy roads. Approaching the Brecon Beacons National Park, you cross the river at Glasbury and then turn east for the world-famous book town of Hay on Wye. For a small town, Hay has plenty of pubs! So after a rummage through the bookshelves, settle down and rest your limbs with a pint of Wye Valley ale in your hand.
- Duration: 2 days
- Distance: 44-62 miles (70-100 km)
- Grading: Moderate.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
The price is 185 Pound Sterling (GBP) per person based on 2 people sharing a twin/double room. Contact operator for sole traveller/single occupancy rates.
- 2 nights accommodation in quality B&Bs or small hotels;
- Daily luggage transfer, so your baggage is waiting for you on arrival;
- Detailed, customized maps, with your daily ride highlighted;
- Written route notes giving directions and background information;
- 2 days hire of a comfortable, lightweight, hybrid bike supplied with handlebar bag, cycle computer, repair kit, lock and water bottle. For tandem bikes, please add 10 Pound Sterling (GBP) per person. 10% discount if you bring your own bike.
- Transfers to/from the nearest rail or bus station at the start and end of the tour.
- Meals: Cooked breakfast included. Packed lunches and evening meals can be arranged at additional cost.
Options: Add an extra night at any stage of the tour, prices from 40 Pound Sterling (GBP) per person per night.