Wye Valley Meander South 2-Day Self-Guided Biking Vacationoffered by supplier M16809 (read about supplier)
Tour Duration: 2 day(s)
Group Size: 1 - 20 people
Specialty Categories: Bicycle Touring Wildlife Viewing
Season: January - December
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: Yes
Minimum Per Person Price: 165 Pound Sterling (GBP)
Maximum Per Person Price: 165 Pound Sterling (GBP)
Day 1: Arrival in Builth Wells.
Day 2: Builth Wells to Hay-on-Wye, 22 miles (35 km)
The ride begins in Builth Wells, once a Victorian Spa Town and now home to the Royal Welsh Agricultural Show which draws thousands of visitors annually. No major hills today, though plenty of high ground all around as you follow the Wye Valley on its meandering southerly course. Look out for Red Kites and Buzzards overhead, or stop off at Erwood Station – a craft centre and art gallery beside the river. Approaching the Brecon Beacons, you cross the river at Glasbury and turn east for the world-famous book town of Hay-on-Wye. For a small town, Hay has a huge number of bookshops but also plenty of welcoming pubs! So after a rummage through the bookshelves, settle down and rest your limbs with a pint of Wye Valley ale at your elbow before retiring for a good night's sleep.
Day 3: Hay-on-Wye to Eardisley, 20 miles (32 km)
The ride continues parallel to the River Wye as you enter England. The Black Mountains loom to the right but the gradient is gentle as you head north through the Black and White Villages and a quiet rural landscape of cider orchards and browsing sheep. There are sleepy villages like Almeley, a 700 year old hamlet with several of the half-timbered houses typical of this region. Look out also for The Eardisley Oak – a magnificent tree which has been growing here for at least 6 centuries! You cross the River Wye again at Brobury via a fine red-brick bridge. This tiny village is home to Brobury House, set in eight acres of formal Victorian gardens and water meadows. Then it’s back across the border to end your ride in Hay on Wye.
- Duration: 2 days biking
- Distance: 42 miles (67 km)
- Grading: Moderate.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
The price is 165 Pound Sterling (GBP) per person based on 2 people sharing a twin/double room. Contact operator for sole traveller/single occupancy rates.
- 2 nights accommodation in quality B&Bs, Inns and small hotels;
- Daily luggage transfer, so your baggage is waiting for you on arrival;
- Detailed, customized maps, with your daily ride highlighted;
- Written route notes giving directions and background information;
- 2 days hire of a comfortable, lightweight, hybrid bike supplied with handlebar bag, cycle computer, repair kit, lock and water bottle. For tandem bikes, please add 10 Pound Sterling (GBP) per person. 10% discount if you bring your own bike.
- Transfers to/from the nearest rail or bus station at the start and end of the tour.
- Meals: Cooked breakfast included. Packed lunches and evening meals can be arranged at additional cost.
Options: Add an extra night at any stage of the tour, prices from 40 Pound Sterling (GBP) per person per night.
Click here to email this vacation offer to a friend.
Joined InfoHub: Jul 2007
M16809 is a Partnership, founded and co-owned by Anna Heywood and Luke Skinner. We provide guided and self-guided walking and cycling holidays in Wales. We hold MA degrees from the University of Cambridge and have considerable experience of the travel industry. We have also completed an independent cycling expedition...