Cycling for the Soul - Northern Laosoffered by supplier M20612 (read about supplier)
Tour Duration: 11 day(s)
Group Size: 6 - 12 people
Specialty Categories: Bicycle Touring Yoga & Spiritual Experience
Season: January - December
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: Yes
Minimum Per Person Price: 2895 Australian Dollar (AUD)
Maximum Per Person Price: 3590 Australian Dollar (AUD)
Day 1: Arrival Luang Prabang. Check into our hotel which is a 25-room boutique property. Satri House was built at the turn of the last century as the residence of Prince Soupha-nouvong and is designed with a style inspired by Lao culture and set in a truly relaxing environment. Enjoy a relaxing massage before a ‘Welcome to Laos’ dinner. Overnight at Satri House, standard room. Includes: (D).
Day 2: Luang Prabang Past, Present and Future. Start the morning with yoga and then we take a half day bike trip that will take you to the secrets of the town’s wetlands, centuries old temples, a Saa Paper village, a blacksmith village, and an orphanage school. At the orphanage school, you will visit the small gallery and vegetable gardens that are managed by the children. Before going back to the town, you will visit a weaving centre, where you get an explanation of the silk weaving process. Look at silkworm, natural dyes and meet the weavers. Enjoy a local lunch at the weaving centre. Includes: (B, L).
This afternoon it’s an easy cycling tour visiting Wat Visun, Wat Aham, the beautiful Wat Xieng Thong, walking along the street, Wat Mai. Then climb Phusi hill to enjoy the view overlooking the city and watch the amazing sunset. From here we can see the magic Mekong and the small Nam Khan rivers. This evening you have to yourselves. Maybe explore the local restaurants or indulge in another relaxing massage, the choice is yours. Overnight at Satri House.
Day 3: Luang Prabang - Nong Kiaw 70 km. We start today transferring by vehicle and then cycle 70 km to Nong Khiaw, a small town on the banks of the Nam Ou River. Nong Kiaow boasts a gorgeous backdrop of imposing limestone mountains, picturesque river views and genuine local colour. If time permits, explore the several caves in the immediate area, one of which was apparently the site of many deaths when local villagers sheltered there during the war. Alternatively relax, walk and play in the river with the local children. Overnight at Nong Khiaw riverside. Includes: (B, L).
Day 4: Nong Kiaw – Muang Khoua by boat on the Nam Ou River. Today the Nam Ou, which is one of the most beautiful rivers in the region awaits. We journey slowly upstream. Here, where there are no roads, life feels completely different from what we are accustomed! And, we want to share in this peace and tranquility. Let’s stop on the way to visit and discover some remote villages. Overnight at Senaly – basic room (best hotel in town). Includes: (B, L).
Day 5: Muang Khoua – Muang La 70 km. Today we cycle 70 km to reach the village of Muang La. The lush green vegetation and houses made of wood and bamboo are met by two rushing rivers: the Nam Phak and the smaller Nam La. Aside from its general beauty and attractive, ancient wat, the main reason for foreigners to visit this town is the hot springs. Overnight at Muang La resort. Includes: (B, L, D).
Day 6: Muang La. A free day to do whatever takes your fancy. Join in some yoga, meditation, enjoy a massage, sauna, hot springs bath, some life coaching or simply do nothing! Overnight at Muang La resort. Includes: (B, L).
Day 7: Muang La – Oudomxai 30 km. Start the day with a yoga and meditation session and then in the afternoon we cycle to the town of
Oudomxai. Maybe finish the day with a massage with one of our resident masseuses. Overnight in Donsavanh Hotel. Includes: (B, L).
Day 8: Oudomxai - Muang Hong – Pak Beng 52 km. After breakfast a transfer by minivan will bring you to Muang Hong, where you will start cycling for the day. This is probably one of the best roads of Laos. You will finish in the narrow valley of the Beng River at the northern section. This afternoon participate in a meditation session or enjoy a massage. Overnight in Pakbeng Lodge. Includes: (B, L, D).
Day 9: Pak Beng – Pak Ou Cave and cycle to Zen Nam Khan Resort 47 km. As we make our way down river, we will pass areas of un-spoilt forest with little villages along the riverbanks and perhaps the odd elephant or two with his mahout. We will visit a fishing village and a rice winemaking village and perhaps even taste some the infamous beverage known as Lao Rice wine. You also visit the Pak-Ou caves, where thousands of Buddha statues are stored. From here we start cycling 47 km with an ending that has a bit of a ‘sting’ in its tail to Zen Nam Khan Resort, a remote and peaceful resort, which we have all to ourselves! Over night at Zen Nam Khan Resort. Includes: (B, L).
Day 10: Relaxing day and activity optional. Our last day and it’s a free day. Yoga by the pool, get in one last massage or simply lie back, do nothing and enjoy the surroundings! If you are up for it tonight venture back into Luang Prabang and soak up the atmosphere one last time. Includes: (B).
Day 11: Transfer to the airport for departure. End of program, transfer for flight to Bangkok for connecting flights or continue on with your travels. Includes: (B).
Total trip excluding airfares, travel insurance and visas AUD$2895.00 per person based on twin share (AUD$695.00 single supplement) and includes all of the following.
- Transportation in private bus or minivan or boat where indicated
- 10 nights’ accommodation in hotels (twin share)
- Welcome Massage on first and second day
- All sightseeing activities as listed in the itinerary
- Our representative
- English speaking local country guide
- Admission fee to indicated sights as listed in the itinerary
- All meals as indicated in the itinerary: B= breakfast, L= Lunch, D= dinner
- Domestic government taxes and service charges
- Luggage handling and daily drinking water
- Bike rental on Trek 4400 mountain bikes (you are welcome to bring your own bike)
- Air conditioned support vehicle, Hyundai with cabin
- 2 x masseuses traveling as part of the group
- Health and fitness activities including daily stretching prior to morning start and at the end of each days cycling, yoga, guided meditation and energisation exercises.
- Visa fee on arrival US$30.00 per person
- Departure airport tax US$10.00 per person
- Travel Insurance – appropriate for all of the activities
listed including cycling
- Additional meals not mentioned in itinerary
- Alcohol and soft drinks
- Single room surcharge (additional AUD$695.00)
- Hotel incidentals: mini bar, laundry, telephone
- Tips and gratuities
- Helmets (please note that helmets can be provided for you,
however for hygiene reasons we would recommend bringing
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
- This tour is committed to costing our trips as accurately as possible.
- The trip costs and inclusions are current at the time of publication but maybe subject to change.
- We will not increase the tour price except under exceptional circumstances for those that have previously booked the tour. Any changes to pricing will be communicated to you clearly before final payment is due.
Click here to email this vacation offer to a friend.
Joined InfoHub: Nov 2010
M20612 adventures incorporates holistic, wellness and fitness elements with a touch of luxury and pampering. Our retreats and tours combine cycling, yoga and meditation with responsible travel and support of local communities. M20612 adventures was founded by its director, Virginia Slevin. Virginia has always had a...