Machame Route – Non Technical Climbingoffered by supplier M20403 (read about supplier)
Tour Duration: 6 - 7 day(s)
Group Size: 2 - 16 people
Specialty Categories: Hiking & Trekking
Season: January - December
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: Yes
Minimum Per Person Price: 1200 US Dollar (USD)
Maximum Per Person Price: 1600 US Dollar (USD)
Day 1: Arusha Moshi to Machame Gate. An early start with a drive from Arusha/Moshi to Machame gate (1950 m). Begin trekking through the rain forests on a winding gradual gradient that is so beautiful when the masses of flowers are in bloom. There is a lovely rocky section leading to Machame hut (3300 m). Camp overnight at Machame hut campsite. 4-5 hours of trekking, 1350 m of ascent.
Day 2: The path now rises along a charming ridge of lava with wonderful views of Kibo and Meru peaks. We continue on a path that is at times steep, but easy, and then crossing a little valley and walking along a steep rocky ridge covered with heather. The route then turns west onto a river gorge. Overnight at Shira hut campsite. 3 – 4 hours of trekking, 500 m of ascent and 100 m of descent.
Day 3: An acclimatization day (Optional at extra cost). We trek for 2 or 3 hours to gain about 500 m height and then return to our camp at the Shira hut campsite. 4 – 6 hours trekking.
Day 3 (4): From the Shira Plateau, hike eastwards past an enormous solitary rock and onwards over a wide desolate stony area. This leads to the lava tower called "the shark's tooth" (4400 m). Shortly after the tower you come to a junction leading to Arrow glacier. The final leg is a steep descent down to Barranco hut (3950 m). Overnight at Barranco hut campsite. 4.5 – 5.5 hours of trekking, 700 m of ascent and 450 m of descent.
Day 4 (5): A long and spectacular day. From Barranco we continue trekking on a broad steep ridge passing the Barranco wall that gives excellent views of the Heim glacier. We then descend very quickly into the Karanga Valley and whilst there we refill our water bottles. The last section is on a rocky wind beaten ridge and leads to Barafu Hut campsite (4550 m). 5 - 6 hours of trekking, 750 m of ascent and 200 m of descent.
Day 5 (6): Summit Day. Just after midnight we set out for the summit, along a good path marked with stones. The initial stage climbs rocky slopes and then into a wide gorge to the right (east) of the Rebmann glacier. There is a section of scree, but this will not give problems like Gillman’s Point on the Marangu route. The final slopes, although of modest gradient are best tackled with crampons and ice axe, as they are usually covered in ice overnight. From the crater at Stella Point (5750 m) take a left to Uhuru Peak (5895 m) the highest point in Africa. From the summit we descend along the standard route to the Horombo hut (3720 m). 10 - 14 hours of trekking, 1490 m of ascent and 2170 m of descent.
Day 6 (7): The day is spent descending by way of Mweka or Kidlinga. Transfer to Arusha/Moshi. 6 hours of trekking, with 1820 m of descent. This option has a very experienced guide, who has led many previous treks on Kili.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
- Transport from Arusha/Moshi to the gate and back
- Park fees and camping fees
- Rescue fees
- Park commission
- Local guides
- Cook and porters
- Tents and all group equipment
- All meals and drinking water during the trek (bottled on day 1, thereafter treated river water).
- The price allows for joining in Arusha/Moshi and does not include international airfare and departure taxes
- Personal insurance
- Visa fees
- Vaccination costs
- Personal clothing and equipment, such as Insulation mat and sleeping bag
- All items of a personal nature
- Toiletries and all drinks, other than water
- The cost of transporting the Safety Pack (if hired) as luggage and refilling of oxygen, these costs are personal expenditure (the cost depends on which airline is used).
Price Indication per person in the mixed group - US$:
- US$1800: if your booking is for 1 person
- US$1435: 2 or 3 people
- US$1345: 4 or 5 people
- US$1285: 6 or 7 people
- US$1235: 8 - 10 people.
- Extra day (Day 3) for acclimatization $199 per person (strongly recommended).
- The base currency is the US Dollar and if you intend making payments in another currency you must ask for an updated quotation before you make a reservation.
- Personal High Altitude Equipment: A Down jacket, 4 season sleeping bag and an Ice axe are available for hire in Tanzania.
Travel Insurance: Comprehensive personal insurance, including search and rescue is required on this trip. We recommend that you obtain from your Country.
Click here to email this vacation offer to a friend.
Joined InfoHub: Jul 2010
M20403. Was found in 2003 by a young professional Safari guide, Anicet Philip. He set up a professional Company with the intention of improving the quality of tour operations in Tanzania and the whole of East Africa Region. During the recent years we have developed ourselves rapidly and have grown into a promising...