One Day Tour in Helsinki, Private Trip in Finlandoffered by supplier M09620 (read about supplier)
Tour Duration: 1 day(s)
Group Size: 1 - 45 people
Specialty Categories: Cultural Journey
Season: January - December
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: No
Minimum Per Person Price: 40 Euro (EUR)
Maximum Per Person Price: 140 Euro (EUR)
Helsinki was founded in the 16th century, but it became real city and political and economical centre of Finland only in the 19th century, when the capital of the country was moved from Turku to Helsinki. This is why you can not see so old buildings in Helsinki like in Tallinn. (Oldest buildings in Tallinn are built in the 13th century, oldest survived stony building in Helsinki dates back to the 18th century). Neoclassical style buildings of the 19th century dominate in the centre (Senate square and surroundings blocks). So you see that Finns do not have numerous outstanding and very old sights in the city (Suomenlinna fortress is included into the UNESCO world heritage list, but it was built in the 18th century too), but if you want to understand society of Finns, their lifestyle or social attitude, tour of the city is worth to do).
Some sights in Helsinki for van/ car tour:
- Rock Church: One of the most popular sights in Helsinki, entrance free. A modern Lutheran Church built into solid rock, sometimes the church is closed because of service but it does not happen very often
- Kallio district with Hakaniemi market and Kallio church. Photo stop to see Kallio church with 1100 seats, only church in Finland with both Baroque and French Romance organs.
- Hakaniemi market has not become a magnet for international visitors in search of color, but its reflects a more real picture of everyday life in Finland. People go there to buy bread, fruit, vegetables, berries, pastries, flowers and fish. We will pass the market or if you want short stop is possible too.
- If time permits optional short stop to see Mäntyniemi, entrance to the the residence of Finnish president (you can not see the residence, but well kept small park in front of the gate buildings is nice area for a short walk). We can do a short walk to enjoy atmosphere of some of residential districts of wooden buildings (not so many of them left in Helsinki). We can extend our trip Espoo (modern city- a part of Great Helsinki metropolitan area, amazing concentration of leading internationally well-known Finnish companies and their headquarters, including famous Nokia corporation.
Töölö district: You will see Olympic stadium (Olympic Games were held Helsinki in 1952), National Opera, Finlandia Talo, also Sibelius monument. It is one of the most popular tourist attractions of the city. En route optional short stop to see Eira are with functional style villas built about 100 years ago. It might be interesting to visit Suomenlinna, one of the largest sea fortresses of the world consisting several islands, but it is located about 15-20 min ferry drive from seaside Kauppatori (market square).Walk on the main island of Suomenlinna archipelago takes 1 hour, we should plan time for ferry drives, so 2 hours is minimum time required to visit this area. Two way ferry ticket to Suomenlinna- about 6,5 euro pp. We can visit to Seurasaari Open Air Museum (old village buildings), walk in the museum takes about 1 hour.
We also would recommend short walk in the city centre- from Kauppatori (seaside market) along Esplanade (one of the most popular streets in the city) to Runeberg monument (national poet), then we can take a right turn to the next parallel street Aleksanderinkatu (one of the most popular shopping streets in Helsinki) and then we walk to the Senate square where we can finish the tour (this walk takes up to 30 min). Walk in the downtown area of Helsinki. Description of the route. Longer walk in the downtown area is also possible (up to 2 hours). We will do a walking tour in the of the downtown. You take a stroll along Esplanade - one of the most popular and lovely streets in Helsinki. It is a connection between seashore with Market Square and main street in Helsinki Mannerheimintie. Numerous outstanding buildings are located at Esplanade -the presidential Palace, Swedish Embassy, historical restaurant Kappeli, Grönqvist House, State Banquette Hall, Swedish Theatre. We will take a stroll along Esplanade and after crossing main street you will see the Old Church soon. Now we turn right to pass local skyscraper- Torni Hotell.
We turn back and to go to see rail station designed by famous Eleil Saarinen. You also will see National Theatre, National Art Museum and after a walk along Aleksanderinkatu, one of the most popular business streets, we will reach the Senate Square. Sights of this square -main building of the University, Library of the University ( I would advice visit the library, large hall is nice- entrance is free) , Finnish bank, the Senate building (governmental building) and Tuomiokirkko or the Lutheran cathedral- probably Finland's most photographed building.
Helsinki with Porvoo: Sometimes our visitors have wanted to see Porvoo as well. So this tour will be a combination of Helsinki and Porvoo. Porvoo is one of the most historical towns in Finland. Most attractive area in Porvoo- the Old Town with wooden houses from the 18-19th century. About 10 old wooden towns have been left in Finland. Old Porvoo is not very large area, but it is nice little charming town where to walk. Porvoo is located 55 km from Helsinki. So we need 1 hour to drive to Porvoo, 1 hour to return, 1-1,5 hour long walk tour in the Old Town, 1 hour free time before return ( café or lunch break, shopping), 2 hours to see most important sights in Helsinki (mostly van/coach tour). We can extend tour along Porvoo river valley 10-15 miles to take a closer look at Finnish villages and farming area. So total time for tour about 7 hours.
- Van tour of Helsinki (2-2,5 hours) + short walk in the downtown area (Esplanade, Senate sq, Aleksanderinkatu).
- Van tour of Helsinki (2-2,5 hours) + longer walk-up to 2 hours in the downtown area (Esplanade, Mannerehimintie, Aleksanderinkatu, Senate sq- please look at the description of the route below)
- Helsinki tour by van walk in the downtown area (not very long one) + optional visit to Suomenlinna sea fortress and/ or Seurasaari open air museum.
- Helsinki (most important sights) + trip to Porvoo.
- Helsinki and Finnish farming (with or without Porvoo).
- Tour of Tallinn as a part of Helsinki visit or as a separate tour. Tallinn is located only 80 km / 50 miles from (2-3 hours by modern fast ferry). Well preserved Medieval Old Town is main attraction in Tallinn.
Supplemental Tour Information:
- My tours are customizable and tailor made tours. So if you have any special interests or suggestions, we can exclude something or add something according to your propositions.
- Our tour is not 100 % serious academic action. It must also be a fun. If you have not smiled at least once by the end of the tour, we have failed totally.
- If you have any questions or if you need more information for your possible visit to Helsinki, please let us know. Our tours are customized and tailor made tours. So everything - all components of the tour can be subject of our mutual communication.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
Click here to email this vacation offer to a friend.
Joined InfoHub: Apr 2003
Private shore excursions in Tallinn, private and customized tours in Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Finland, Poland, Belarus for individual travelers, small and big groups, travel arrangements. M09620 is an enterprise founded by a sole proprietor Ahti Arak and belongs to him. Ahti Arak graduated at Tartu University in...