The New Forest National Park lies at the heart of this tour with its vast forests, heaths and pastureland where deer, ponies, and pigs have the right to roam. Tucked into the peaceful landscape are pretty villages and charming estuaries where maritime history abounds. And just off the coast lies the delightfully English, Isle of Wight.
Using awesome gravel tracks through the forest and disused railway lines, much of this tour is free of traffic and leaves plenty of time to explore. Discover: forest life and villages at Burley, Brockenhurst and Beaulieu with its fine estate and Motor Museum, maritime delights at Buckler’s Hard and Lymington, the Isle of Wight experience and the charms of Yarmouth where your ferry arrives. We hope you will return !
Day to Day Itinerary:
Day 1: Burley
Arrive in Burley and check into your hotel in this cosy forest village. At a time to suit you make your way to our base a few minutes walk away, which is open from 09.00 to 17.30, to pick up your cycling equipment. Your host will also meet you to run through your itinerary and to familiarize you with the route.
Day 2: Burley to Brockenhurst, 20miles (32 km)
Today you will see the best of the New Forest on this wonderful route of off road gravel tracks giving you a great opportunity to see deer, ponies and pigs as they roam freely in their natural setting. Wonder at ancient and majestic trees and absorb the peace and tranquillity as you ride deep into the forest and into the heart of forest inclosures. Snatch a glimpse of civilisation in the village of Lyndhurst and enjoy an overnight stay in the forest village of Brockenhurst in a wonderful boutique hotel.
Day 3: Brockenhurst to Lymington, 20 miles (32 km)
The scene changes gradually from forest to open country as you ride to the pretty Beaulieu river where you will discover the charming village of Beaulieu. Housed here is the not to be missed National Motor Museum and a notable house and garden. If that were not enough, the estate also includes the picturesque hamlet of Bucklers Hard running down to the river, where many famous naval vessels were built. From here it’s a gentle wander to Lymington – a historic maritime town where you will spend the next two nights. Once a busy port rife with smugglers and now a bustling centre with yacht marinas, fishing boats and a ferry, there’s plenty to unearth here.
Day 4: Lymington to the Isle of Wight and back, optional 7 or 16 miles (11km) or more.
Hop aboard the ferry for the half hour trip to the Isle of Wight and discover a different scene today. Landing at Yarmouth with its working pier and tidemill, you could linger for much of the day here. There is a delightful ride on a former railway track heading to the south coast of the island at Freshwater for those wanting to explore the island further and a ride inland to a vineyard with plenty of ferries to return you back to Lymington for your second night there. Not known as gentle cycling territory, we have tailored the ride so your holiday will not be spoilt!
Day 5: Lymington to Burley, 13 or 18 miles (21or 29 km)
Much of the route today follows an old railway line as you pedal along embankments and steam through bridge holes. There are fresh forest tracks to discover and we hope some wonderful encounters with wildlife. Enjoy the old station cafes and this unique landscape as you return to Burley with a rich variety of memories.
Day 6: Depart Burley
Return your bikes to our base and depart at your leisure.
Supplemental Tour Information:
- Extend the tour to include the Dorset coast by taking our 8 night tour - Isles, Coast and New Forest
- Extend the tour to Salisbury and Stonehenge by adding our Stonehenge and New Forest tour.
- Start & finish:Starts Sundays and is circular from Burley. Burley is a short taxi ride from Brockenhurst station which is 1.5 hours from London by train. It is also close to Bournemouth airport.
- Accommodation: 2 quite charming boutique hotels and an old manor house on the Luxury tour. 2 nights in Burley and in Lymington in inns and a small hotel in Brockenhurst on the Classic tour.
- Cycling mileage: 3 days of cycling 13 - 20 miles (21 - 32 km) per day and 1 day of optional cycling.
- Grade out of 5 based on distance and elevation: 1
- Terrain: Flattish
- Traffic free: 70%; very low traffic on the rest.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
- Minimum cost is for Classic version. Maxixmum cost is for Luxury version
- All prices are subject to change depending on accommodation availability.
- Breakfast every day during the tour.
- The services of our friendly hosts to coordinate your travel and brief you on your route
- Emergency support provided by your host
- Luggage transfers between hotels
- A tour brochure
- Safeguarding of your payment.
- Travel to and from the tour start and finish points
- Entrances to attractions unless specified
- Other dinners
- Alcoholic beverages
- Mini bars
- Meals pre and post the tour.
About This Supplier
Joined InfoHub: Mar 2007
Authentic travels by bike and on foot in the UK, France, Italy, Holland, Austria, Greece, Spain and the Baltics. Gentle and not so gentle tours available from one day upwards - self led or guided. Hand picked accommodation and a very personal service. Classic tours have carefully chosen attractive inns, individual...
View this supplier profile | Submit your review
Also see tour packages in:
Outdoor: Land Rambler
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend