From your New Forest inn, you freewheel down to the Avon valley and follow the string of pretty villages that lie along the river. Quiet and characterful, the route leads by the back door into the heart of Salisbury. This fascinating city with its famous cathedral will not disappoint and there's ample time to explore.
Next up is Stonehenge - quite awesome but not a place to arrive by bike so we have arranged for a guide to meet you nearby so you can fully appreciate the sight and enjoy the idyllic ride there. Heading home, you will experience the New Forest as its best with wooded villages, cosy pubs, some gravel tracks and great views.
- Tour Start & finish: Starts Sundays and is circular from Burley. Burley is a short taxi ride from Brockenhurst station which is 1.5 hours from London by train. It is also close to Bournemouth airport.
- Accommodation: An old manor house, a 4 star Georgian hotel and one of our classic forest inns on the Luxury tour and 3 nights in forest inns, and 2 nights in a small hotel in the heart of Salisbury on the Classic tour.
- Cycling mileage: . 3 days of cycling 10 - 20 miles (16 - 32 km) per day and 1 day of optional cycling.
- Grade out of 5 based on distance and elevation: 4
- Terrain: Some slopes all 3 days of cycling
- Traffic free: 20%; very low traffic on the rest.
- Extend the tour to include the Dorset coast by adding our 7 night tour - Dorset Beaches and New Forest tour
- Extend the tour to include the Isle of Wight by adding our 5 night New Forest Villages and Isle of Wight tour.
Day 1: Burley
Arrive in Burley and check into your manor house hotel in this cosy forest village. At a time to suit you make your way to our base a few minutes walk away, which is open from 09.00 to 17.30, to pick up your cycling equipment. Your host will also meet you to run through your itinerary and to familiarize you with the route.
Day 2: Burley to Salisbury, 20 miles (32 km)
You begin your ride by freewheeling downhill from Burley to the River Avon. As you pedal the valley floor, a string of pretty villages unfolds, increasingly peaceful and always characterful. Crossing fords and the occassional wooded hill, there are some great views through this charming rural area, which has a different feel to that of the New Forest. You slip into historic Salisbury along a back road and suddenly arrive in the heart of this fascinating town beside the cathedral. Your overnight stay for the next 2 nights is closeby in a Georgian mansion hotel.
Day 3: Salisbury to Stonehenge and back, optional 20 miles (32 km)
Today's ride leaves Salisbury on a traffic- free route and leads to Amesbury, still following the picturesque villages and hamlets that line the banks of the Avon river. Nearby is the stunning world heritage sight of Stonehenge with all its mysteries and drama. We have arranged for a guide to meet you in Amesbury and this ensures you get the best Stonehenge experience which does not include cycling there! Back in the saddle, you return to Salisbury along quiet roads passing one or two ancient historic sites enroute you may wish to view.
Day 4: Salisbury to a New Forest village, 10 miles (16km)
This morning is your opportunity to fully explore Salisbury with its rich history around every corner. Enjoy the cathedral and its surrounding extensive close, the Avon and its back waters which thread through the city and discover the beamed interiors of historic buildings. After lunch retrace some of your route before riding up into the northern fringes of the New Forest where charm lurks round every bend and wooded enclaves dice with unexpected views. You will stay the night in a delighful forest inn, one of our classic tour accommodations.
Day 5: A New Forest village to Burley, 20 miles (32 km)
Riding in the New Forest all day, you will see the full variety this National Park has to offer. There are grand views across heathlands, cosy wooded villages, awesome gravel tracks, wide open roads, trees to inspire, brooks to cross and wandering animals to engage with. And this sums up the tour - so many different experiences within one inspirational ride.
Day 6: Depart Burley
Return your bikes to our base and depart at your leisure.
- Minimum cost is for Classic version. Maxixmum cost is for Luxury version.
About This Supplier
Also see tour packages in:
Europe England Outdoor: Land Rambler Bicycle Touring Cultural Journey
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend