From your home on the beach, famed for its oysters, there is wonderful gentle pedalling adjacent to the sea and along the coast. Enjoy The Turner Contemporary at Margate, the mysterious shell grotto and several step back in time moments. Ride inland too along the old Saxon shore and along the best medieval street in England to Faversham with 500 listed buildings, a barge lined creek and its vibrant art and design community.
Day to Day Itinerary:
Day 1: Arrive Whitstable. Arrive in Whitstable and settle into your 150 year old fisherman's hut on the beach. Your cycling equipment will be waiting for you should you want to explore by bike. The harbour is around the corner, oysters are everywhere and the town is charming.
Day 2: Whitstable to Margate and back, 15 or 30 miles (24 or 48 km). This is one of the best rides you could imagine - riding beside the sea with the cliffs at your elbow and the wind in your face. Think breakwaters, bandstand, Roman towers and tidal swimming pool. It's a gentle jaunt to Margate where The Turner Contemporary crosses your path and welcomes you in for free.. Leave time for the inexplicable shell grotto, a trawl through the vintage in the town's shops and a step back in time tea in the family run hotel and museum. Return to Whitstable by bike or hop briefly on the train if you've had enough.
Day 3: Whitstable to Faversham and back, 10 or 20 miles (16 or 32 km). Today offers the option of a different scene as you follow the old Saxon shore with its often remote atmosphere and rich maritime history. Enter Faversham along a remarkable medieval street to discover its creek lined with barges, its many Georgian buildings and its gunpowder history. Take in the art and design community and gallery at Creek Creative before you return to Whitstable by bike or train hop. Leave your bikes for us to collect and depart.
Supplemental Tour Information:
- Start & finish: Starts daily with Whitstable as the base. Whitstable is 1.5 hours by train from Victoria or St Pancras, London
- Accommodation: A fisherman's hut on the beach at Whitstable with 1 double and 1 twin/double sea view rooms, a kitchen, bathroom and small decked veranda. Breakfast is included both days.
- Cycling mileage: 2 days of cycling. 10 - 15 miles or more ( 16 - 24 km) per day
- Grade out of 5 based on distance and elevation: 1
- Terrain: Flat
- Traffic free: Very largely.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
- Price: £215 per person based on four adults sharing a fisherman's hut. Weekend supplements will apply.
- Breakfast every day during the tour and 2 dinners on the luxury tour
- The services of our friendly hosts to coordinate your travel and brief you on your route
- Emergency support provided by your host
- Luggage transfers between hotels
- A tour brochure
- Safeguarding of your payment.
- Travel to and from the tour start and finish points
- Entrances to attractions unless specified
- Other dinners
- Alcoholic beverages
- Mini bars
- Meals pre and post the tour.
All prices are subject to change depending on accommodation availability.
About This Supplier
Joined InfoHub: Mar 2007
Authentic travels by bike and on foot in the UK, France, Italy, Holland, Austria, Greece, Spain and the Baltics. Gentle and not so gentle tours available from one day upwards - self led or guided. Hand picked accommodation and a very personal service. Classic tours have carefully chosen attractive inns, individual...
View this supplier profile | Submit your review
Also see tour packages in:
Outdoor: Land Rambler
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend