9-Day Birding and Wildlife: Escarpment and Kruger National Parkoffered by supplier M19118 (read about supplier)
Tour Duration: 9 day(s)
Group Size: 2 - 12 people
Destination(s): South Africa
Specialty Categories: Wildlife Viewing
Season: January - December
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: Yes
Minimum Per Person Price: 26590 South Africa Rand (ZAR)
Maximum Per Person Price: 45895 South Africa Rand (ZAR)
South Africa is world-renowned for its incredible habitat and biological diversity, and it's nowhere more poignant than in the North-East of the country. Within a day’s drive one can go from cool 2000 meters-plus grasslands to hot, sub-tropical Savannah at no more than 250 meters above sea level, with much in the way of transitional habitats in between. This wonderful, compact itinerary is designed to make the most of this diversity while at the same time avoiding long days in the car and allowing enough time to enjoy the various accommodation venues. For the birder and wildlife enthusiast this translates into a superb range of species to be seen and is the ideal introduction to the region’s avifauna and wildlife in general. The highlands are an endemics hot-spot, and notable species to be seen include Bokmakierie, Gurney’s Sugarbird, Yellow-breasted Pipit, Drakensberg Prinia, Cape Grassbird, Sentinel Rock-Thrush, Buff-Streaked and Ant-eating Chats, among others. Descending in altitude, the tour explores some montane forest habitat, the cliffs and gorges of the Blyde River Canyon, third largest canyon in the world, and transitional habitats before levelling out in the Kruger National Park, where birds and beasts abound. Here daily lists of well over 100 species are to be expected, and sightings of big mammals such as Lion, Elephant and White Rhinoceros add substantially to the appeal. All in all this is a fantastic way to be introduced to some of South Africa’s scenery, birds and animals. This safari is designed as a follow-on to The best of KwaZulu-Natal to create a comprehensive Eastern South Africa birding safari, and is also popular as a custom-made safari.
-Dullstroom and the Mpumalanga Highlands.
-The Blyde River Canyon.
-The Kruger National Park (3 rest camps).
Tour in Brief:
- Group size: maximum of 12 participants, 1 guide per 6 participants.
- Expected weather conditions: cool to warm conditions in the highlands of Dullstroom, warm to hot on the Savannah. Possible afternoon thunderstorms.
- Tour tempo: medium to medium-plus, optional mid-day breaks on non-travelling days (advisable in the hotter areas).
- Accommodation standards: medium: lodges, guest houses and National Park's rest-camps.
- Birding in brief: excellent variety, three major habitats included, tops for endemics.
- Top birds: Southern Bald Ibis, Denham’s Bustard, Gurney's Sugarbird, Jackal Buzzard, Knysna Turaco, Cape Vulture, African Scops-Owl, Southern Ground-Hornbill, Martial Eagle, Malachite Kingfisher, Southern White-crowned Shrike.
- Mammal viewing: excellent, especially in the Kruger National Park.
- Top mammals: The Big Five, Klipspringer, Honey Badger, African Wild Dog, African Wild Cat, Nyala
- Other wildlife and attractions: the Drakensberg Escarpment and the Kruger National Park.
- Add-ons: The tour can easily be combined with custom-made extensions to the Western Cape, KwaZulu-Natal, Limpopo or Victoria Falls. The tour can be combined with The Best of KwaZulu-Natal. Contact us for more information and prices.
- Price: ZAR 21 970 per person sharing, minimum group size of 4 participants. ZAR 3 350 single supplement. Small group surcharge will be levied for groups smaller than 4 participants. Please contact us for more detail.
- All breakfasts and dinners
- Ground transport
- Bottled water in vehicle whilst travelling
- Entrance fees
- Personalised checklists
- Specialist guide fees.
- All airfares
- Travel and medical insurance
- All drinks
- Optional excursions where applicable
- Items of a personal nature.
10% discount for InfoHub customer. Request a free gift certificate.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
The minimum cost is for a group of 6, the maximum is for 2 people sharing, with a single supplement of ZAR5 350, prices valid up to the end of October 2018. Contact us for prices for groups of more than 6 or for more detail.
Click here to email this vacation offer to a friend.
Joined InfoHub: Feb 2009
M19118 is a family run tour operator based in South Africa. We specialize in creating and leading superb natural history safaris which focus specifically on birds or wildlife in general, depending on the clients’ interests. Founded in 1990, M19118 was the very first specialized birding safari company in South Africa....