14-Day Birding and Wildlife: The Best of the Zulu Kingdomoffered by supplier M19118 (read about supplier)
Tour Duration: 14 day(s)
Group Size: 2 - 12 people
Destination(s): South Africa
Specialty Categories: Wildlife Viewing
Season: September - April
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: Yes
Minimum Per Person Price: 42490 South Africa Rand (ZAR)
Maximum Per Person Price: 57395 South Africa Rand (ZAR)
KwaZulu-Natal, The Place of the Zulu, is an unbelievably diverse province. The altitude variation is extreme, and in a half-day drive one can go from a sub-alpine environment where several peaks reach over 3000 meters above sea-level, right down to the warm shores of the Indian Ocean. In between there’s a transition through the green, rolling ‘Midlands’, studded with wetlands and forest patches, while to the north-east the Maputaland coastal plain becomes progressively more lush and tropical. This diversity results in a large and varied birdlife component, with species to be seen ranging from the awesome Lammergeier at 3000 meters up in the Drakensberg to the equally impressive Palm-nut Vulture foraging for fruit among the giant Raffia Palms of Mtunzini on the shores of the Indian Ocean. This ‘Best of KZN’ tour begins in the port city of Durban, and then takes in some of the gems of the South Coast, before heading inland to the Drakensberg massif, where the undoubted highlight is a day trip up Sani pass and into Lesotho. From there the route takes us back to the coast, taking in the iSimangaliso Wetland Park and the Sand Forests of Tembe Elephant Park, before a last stop in Wakkerstroom and an end in Johannesburg. The itinerary includes a chance to see all of the province’s specials, as well as a good range of endemics and near-endemics, and a large list of more widely-occurring species. This is a must for the more serious birder and can be combined with the Escarpment and Kruger National Park trip to create a comprehensive eastern South Africa birding experience.
- Oribi Gorge.
- Creighton and Sani Pass.
- St Lucia and the iSimangaliso Wetland Park.
- Tembe Elephant Park.
Tour in Brief:
- Group size: maximum of 12 participants, 1 guide per 6 participants.
- Expected weather conditions: the coastal regions will be hot and humid, whereas the interior at Wakkerstroom should be warm but pleasant, possibly cool during the evenings. Sani Pass has highly variable weather, as such, a warm jacket and waterproof shell is advised. Rain is a possibility this time of year.
- Tour tempo: medium to medium-plus, optional mid-day breaks (advisable considering on hot days), no serious walking.
- Accommodation standards: medium to medium plus; guest houses and lodges.
- Birding in brief: excellent variety of habitats; a mix of coastal dune forest, Bushveld, altitude grassland and mountains.
- Top birds: Bearded Vulture, Drakensberg Rockjumper, Rosy-throated Longclaw, Rudd’s and Botha’s Lark, Barrow’s Korhaan and Livingstone’s Turaco.
- Mammal viewing: good game viewing in areas with special species such as Blue Duiker, Suni, Samango Monkey, Slogget’s Rat and Ongoye Red Squirrel. Tembe and Ndumo offer a good chance for large game such as African Elephant, Lion, African Buffalo and White Rhinoceros.
- Special activities included: Boat trip on the St Lucia estuary, day trip up Sani Pass in 4 x 4 vehicles.
- Other wildlife and attractions: the Lebombo Mountains, Pongola River floodplain, Nsumo Pan, iSimangaliso World Heritage Site.
- Add-ons: this trip can be combined with the Escarpment and Kruger National Park birding trip, 8 – 16 February, to create a comprehensive eastern South Africa birding experience. Enquire for more information.
10% discount for InfoHub customer. Request a free gift certificate.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
Price: ZAR 42 750 per person sharing for a group size of 4 participants. ZAR 3 450 single supplement. The cost is for a group of 4 participants, all sharing. A small group surcharge will apply to groups of 3 or fewer. Please contact us for more detail.
- All breakfasts and dinners
- Lunches at Tembe and on the full day up Sani Pass
- Entrance fees
- Ground transport
- Boat excursion at St Lucia
- Bottled water in vehicle whilst travelling
- Personalised checklists
- Specialist guide fees.
- All airfares
- Travel and medical insurance
- Lunches (except at Tembe and on the Sani Pass day trip)
- All drinks
- Optional excursions where applicable
- Items of a personal nature.
Click here to email this vacation offer to a friend.
Joined InfoHub: Feb 2009
M19118 is a family run tour operator based in South Africa. We specialize in creating and leading superb natural history safaris which focus specifically on birds or wildlife in general, depending on the clients’ interests. Founded in 1990, M19118 was the very first specialized birding safari company in South Africa....