13-Day Best of Namibia Birding Safari.offered by supplier M19118 (read about supplier)
Tour Duration: 13 day(s)
Group Size: 2 - 12 people
Specialty Categories: Birdwatching Wildlife Viewing
Season: November - February
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: Yes
Minimum Per Person Price: 50400 South Africa Rand (ZAR)
Maximum Per Person Price: 63260 South Africa Rand (ZAR)
Unique in many ways, from its birdlife to its history and scenery, Namibia has for a long time been a country which holds great fascination for birders. Although Namibia is home to only a single true endemic species, the Dune Lark, a large number of near-endemics and specials may be found. Many of these occur only in the north-western parts of Southern Africa or south-western parts of Angola, making Namibia one of the best places to see a host of special bird species. During this trip we aim to target the most important core species in this country within a relatively short period of time. We will search the ochre sand dunes of the Namib Desert for Dune Lark, the barren gravel plains for the sought-after Ludwig’s Bustard and Burchell’s Courser before we reach the shorebird metropolis of Walvis Bay, where we’ll spend a great deal of time sifting through the vast numbers of migrants in search of vagrant waders alongside some of the more regular species. From there we head inland to the Erongo Mountains to look for specials such as Hartlaub’s Spurfowl, Herero Chat and Damara Rockrunner, before heading north to Etosha National Park where both birds and wildlife are abundant. Our final destination will be the Waterberg Plateau where Rüppell’s Parrot and Violet Wood-Hoopoe are found alongside more widespread species in an area of fantastic scenery. From there we head back to Windhoek where the tour will come to an end after a rewarding experience that should see most of the essential Namibian specials on our lists.
-Group size: maximum of 12 participants; one guide per 6 participants
Tour in brief:
- Expected weather conditions: variable, but mainly hot and dry, though it can get cool at the coast.
- Tour tempo: Fast-paced. Long drives to get from region to region, and long days out in the field. This is for the more serious birder.
- Accommodation standards: medium plus: lodges and guest houses and National Park’s camps.
- Birding in brief: excellent in terms of variety and also specials and near-endemics. Good general savannah birding in Etosha.
- Top 5 birds: Dune Lark, Rockrunner, Hartlaub’s Spurfowl, Violet Wood-hoopoe, Herero Chat, White-tailed Shrike, Rüpell’s Korhaan, Monterio’s Hornbill, Damara Tern.
- Mammal viewing: good all-round and excellent in Etosha, where big game occurs. Highlights may include Hartmann’s Mountain Zebra and Black Rhino.
- Other wildlife and attractions: interesting botany, superb scenery and photographic opportunities.
- Add-ons: This tour can be combined with extensions to South Africa, such as a pre-tour to the Western Cape in October, and a Kruger National Park extension in March. Contact us for more information and prices.
10% discount for InfoHub customer. Request a free gift certificate.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
Price: ZAR 50 400 per person sharing for a group size of 4 participants. ZAR 3 700 single supplement. The cost is for a group of 4 participants, all sharing. A small group surcharge will apply to groups of 3 or fewer. Please contact us for more detail.
- All breakfasts and dinners
- Lunches at Tembe and on the full day up Sani Pass
- Entrance fees
- Ground transport
- Boat excursion at St Lucia
- Bottled water in vehicle whilst travelling
- Personalised checklists
- Specialist guide fees.
- All airfares
- Travel and medical insurance
- Lunches (except at Tembe and on the Sani Pass day trip)
- All drinks
- Optional excursions where applicable
- Items of a personal nature.
Click here to email this vacation offer to a friend.
Joined InfoHub: Feb 2009
M19118 is a family run tour operator based in South Africa. We specialize in creating and leading superb natural history safaris which focus specifically on birds or wildlife in general, depending on the clients’ interests. Founded in 1990, M19118 was the very first specialized birding safari company in South Africa....