Ethiopian Endemics I Birding Touroffered by supplier M17026 (read about supplier)
Tour Duration: 19 day(s)
Group Size: 6 - 8 people
Specialty Categories: Birdwatching Wildlife Viewing
Season: January - December
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: No
Minimum Per Person Price: 6200 US Dollar (USD)
Maximum Per Person Price: 6200 US Dollar (USD)
This tour can be taken in conjunction with the Lalibela Historical Extension. You welcome to contact M17026's office to find out more.
Day 1: Arrival in Addis Ababa
Day 2: Addis Ababa to Lake Awassa
Day 3: Lake Awassa to Goba
Day 4: Goba and excursion to Sof Omar
Day 5: Goba to Harenna Forest via the Bale Mountain National Park
Day 6: Harenna Forest to Negele
Day 7: Negele and the road to Bogol Manyo
Day 8: Negele to Yabello
Day 9: Yabello area
Day 10: Yabello to Shashemene
Day 11: Shashemene to Lake Langano via Lakes Abijatta and Shalla
Day 12: Bishangari to Nazreth
Day 13: Nazreth to Bilen
Day 14: Bilen to Awash National Park
Day 15: Awash National Park
Day 16: Awash National Park to Weliso
Day 17: Weliso to Debre Birhan via Ghibe Gorge
Day 18: Debre Birhan and excursion to Gemasa Geden and Melka Gebdu Track
Day 19: Debre Birhan to Addis Ababa via Gemasa Geden, Melka Gebdu Track and depart (or overnight in Addis Ababa for those doing the Lalibela Extension).
Single Supplement: The single supplement cost for this tour will be charged if you wish to have single accommodation. If RBT cannot provide you with a rooming partner for these nights although you choose to share, the single supplement will become applicable. We will make all reasonable efforts to ensure that a rooming partner is found if you do wish to share.
a) Due to constantly fluctuating exchange rates, we quote our tours in 4 currencies. The tour price is however fixed only in the currency printed in bold (US$), and the actual cost in the other currencies listed will be adjusted according to prevailing exchange rates at the time of final invoicing (usually 4 months before the tour.) The same applies to approximate flight and single supplement rates, which are also quoted in the respective fixed currency.
b) Rates are based upon group tariffs; if the tour does not have sufficient registration a small party supplement will have to be charged.
c) Furthermore, these costs are subject to unforeseen increases in tour related costs and may have to be adjusted as a result.
d) Lastly, we may be forced to change or alter the itinerary and / or the designated M17026 leader/s at short or no notice due to unforeseen circumstances; please be aware that we will attempt to adhere as close to the original program as possible.
Tipping: As noted above, gratuities (drivers, hotel staff, restaurants etc.) are included on this tour. However, this does NOT include your M17026 leaders. Therefore, if you feel that they have given you excellent service, it is entirely appropriate to tip them.
- It can be very hot in some areas, especially in the extreme south, whilst the highland areas can get cold especially at night and light rain may be experienced in the Bale Mountains.
- On our visits to the Bale Mountains we get up to 4,200 m (13,780 ft) above sea level, but very little walking is done at this altitude.
- There are several long, all day drives on this Ethiopia trip but we will take regular rest stops and birding stops to break the long journeys. The longest drives are the Lake Awassa to Goba, Harenna Forest to Negele, Negele to Yabello and Yabello to Shashemene drives and, although they are lengthy, they are scenic and full of interesting waypoints! The drive to Sof Omar can also take up to 4 hours, depending on road conditions, so a very early departure is necessary.
- Road conditions in Ethiopia are highly variable and dirt roads can be quite bumpy and very dusty, something that is simply not avoidable. It is advisable to bring a handkerchief that can be tied around your face to cover your nose and mouth. Although an extreme case scenario, persons with back troubles should probably bring back-braces to ensure comfort on bumpy roads.
- Due to potential security issues we cannot guarantee that the day trip to Bogol Mayo will go ahead. We will assess the security situation at the time and plan accordingly.
- Accommodation throughout the trip is generally comfortable but can be fairly simple in the south. Please note that the hotels that we make use of are always the best available accommodations in most areas visited (exceptions are in places like Addis where there are very expensive luxury hotels that we tend to avoid).
- The food in Ethiopia is generally fairly basic and consists of western and local cuisine. We will also enjoy many “bush breakfasts and lunches” on the side of the road whilst in good birding areas. This will occur mainly in the remote south and north of the country and will be prepared by our very able drivers. Although rather basic, these meals are often a highlight of any tour to Ethiopia.
Arrival and Departure Details: Main Tour – You may arrive in Addis Ababa anytime you wish on day 1 as this is an arrival day. Further meeting details in this regard will be forwarded to you in due course. The tour will conclude in Addis Ababa after farewell dinner on the evening of day 19. Historical Tour Extension - The extension will depart from Bole Airport in Addis Ababa on day 2 of the extension (final flight time TBA), and will conclude at 5 pm on day 4 at Bole Airport in Addis Ababa. Further meeting details in this regard will be forwarded to you in due course.
Note: If you wish to arrive early and/or depart late for either the main tour or the extension and would like assistance or advice in this regard, kindly contact the M17026 office.
Flights: Bole Airport in Addis Ababa is the main port of entry for international flights into Ethiopia and is well serviced by British Airways and Ethiopian Airways. We have the capacity to advise you on the best route according to your preferences, but your local travel agent will best be able to book these flights for you. We can, however, book the return flights from Addis Ababa to Lalibela for the extension. Important: please do not book your international flights until you have consulted the M17026 office for confirmation on the status of the tour.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
Please note: these prices are subject to foreign exchange fluctuations.Prices exclude flights. Please contact our office for a detailed itinerary.
- Free airport transfers within 3 days of beginning or end of tour
- All meals from dinner on day 1 to dinner on day 19, and from dinner on day 1 to lunch on day 4 of the extension
- Bottled drinking water
- A soft drink/water at meals
- All lodgings during the tour, including the three nights of the extension for those doing the extension
- All ground transportation
- All national park and other reserve entrance fees
- All guiding services (including tips for local guides and services).
- Any flights, (see above)
- Visa fees
- Alcoholic beverages
- Special gratuities, telephone calls, laundry and other items of a personal nature.
Click here to email this vacation offer to a friend.
Joined InfoHub: Sep 2007
M17026 is one of the world’s longest established and most highly regarded birding tour companies. Based in South Africa with satellite offices in USA, Australia and New Zealand, their team of professional tour leaders and dedicated office support staff arrange and guide more than 300 annual birding and wildlife tours...