Kenya Mega Birding Touroffered by supplier M17026 (read about supplier)
Tour Duration: 26 day(s)
Group Size: 12 people
Specialty Categories: Birdwatching Wildlife Viewing
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: No
Minimum Per Person Price: 9750 US Dollar (USD)
Maximum Per Person Price: 9750 US Dollar (USD)
Our tour begins with an exploration of the lush Shimba Hills and Arabuko-Sokoke Forest. Here we will endeavor to find some of the rarest birds in Africa, including the diminutive Sokoke Scops Owl and Clarke’s Weaver. We then travel through both Tsavo West and East Parks, offering excellent game viewing and a huge bird list. The isolated Taita Hills, with its critically endangered species, will no doubt be memorable, and we’ll search all elevations of Mount Kenya’s slopes for avian gems such as Bar-tailed Trogon and Abyssinian Ground Thrush. We then enter the true arid zone at Samburu-Shaba, where highlights may include Golden-breasted Starling and Vulturine Guineafowl. The dry woodlands of Lake Baringo are home to Jackson’s Hornbill and Somali Sparrow, while the famous Kakamega forest adds a West African element to our tour with Blue-headed Bee-eater and Yellow-bellied Wattle-eye being notable targets. After exploring the papyrus swamps and moist woodlands along Lake Victoria, we finally enter the plains to visit arguably the most famous game reserve in the world, the fabulous Maasai Mara!
Day 1: Nairobi to Shimba Hills
Day 2: Shimba Hills to Watamu Bay
Day 3: Arabuko-Sokoke Forest, Mida Creek and Sabaki River Mouth
Day 4: Watamu Bay to Tsavo East National Park
Day 5: Tsavo East to Tsavo West via the Taita Hills
Day 6: Tsavo West
Day 7: Tsavo West NP to Nairobi via Mzima Springs
Day 8: Nairobi to Thika
Day 9: Thika to Lake Naivasha
Day 10: Lake Naivasha to Mt Kenya via Aberdares National Park
Day 11: Mount Kenya
Day 12: Mount Kenya to Samburu
Day 13: Samburu to Shaba Game Reserve
Day 14: Shaba to Naro Moru
Day 15: Naro Moru to Lake Nakuru
Day 16: Lake Nakuru to Lake Baringo
Day 17: Lake Baringo and Kapedo
Day 18: Lake Baringo to Kitale
Day 19: Kitale to Kakamega Forest
Day 20: Kakamega Forest
Day 21: Kakamega to Busia
Day 22: Busia to Kisumu
Day 23: Kisumu to the Maasai Mara
Days 24-25: Maasai Mara
Day 26: Maasai Mara to Nairobi and departure.
Single Supplement: The single supplement cost for this tour will be charged if you wish to have single accommodation. If RBT cannot provide you with a rooming partner for these nights although you choose to share, the single supplement will become applicable. We will make all reasonable efforts to ensure that a rooming partner is found if you do wish to share.
- Due to constantly fluctuating exchange rates, we quote our tours in 4 currencies. The tour price is however fixed only in the currency printed in bold (US$), and the actual cost in the other currencies listed will be adjusted according to prevailing exchange rates at the time of final invoicing (usually 4 months before the tour.) The same applies to approximate flight and single supplement rates, which are also quoted in the respective fixed currency.
- Rates are based upon group tariffs; if the tour does not have sufficient registration a small party supplement will have to be charged.
- Furthermore, these costs are subject to unforeseen increases in tour related costs and may have to be adjusted as a result.
- Lastly, we may be forced to change or alter the itinerary and / or the designated leader/s at short or no notice due to unforeseen circumstances; please be aware that we will attempt to adhere as close to the original program as possible.
Tipping: As noted above, gratuities (drivers, hotel staff, restaurants etc.) are included on this tour. However, this does NOT include your leader/s. If, therefore, you feel that he/they have given you excellent service, it is entirely appropriate to tip them.
- Our Mega tours are fast-paced birding adventures designed for the dedicated lister and serious birder. The focus of the tour is to see as many of the endemics and area specials as possible in the time given. In order to cover the route needed to maximise the species list we stay for a single night only at most sites. This tour is not suitable for those with a casual interest in birds or those who do not enjoy a fast paced and demanding tour.
- In order to cover the variety of sites in this large country we will have to cover a lot of ground and as a result there is a lot of driving on this tour. Furthermore in the areas with big game we will be confined to the vehicles.
- It is important for the comfort of your fellow travellers that you do not over-pack. Kindly stick to 20 kg (44 lb) for check in luggage and 8 kg (18 lb) for hand luggage.
- Accommodation throughout the trip is of a generally high standard and the hotels and resorts that we make use of range from comfortable to rather luxurious. There is no camping on this trip.
Arrival and Departure Details: This tour does not include any airfares. The tour will depart from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Nairobi (IATA: NBO) on the morning of day 1 of the tour and it is advised that you arrive the day before the tour starts. Further meeting details in this regard will be forwarded to you in due course. The tour will conclude in the early evening of day 26 in Nairobi. If you wish to arrive early and/or depart late and would like assistance in this regard, kindly contact our office.
Flights: Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (IATA: NBO) in Nairobi is the main port of entry/departure for this tour. KLM offers the most reliable and regular routes for North America and European travellers via Amsterdam to this airport. These flights however often arrive in the evening necessitating arrival the night before the tour start date. This will give one time to recover from the rigors of international flight travel before the tour starts. British Airways and Virgin Atlantic also offer daily flights from London to Nairobi and return, and would probably be more reliable than the Kenya Airways who offer regular flights from London to Nairobi. As our guests come from all over the planet we do not include international flights in our tour prices. We have the capacity to advise you on the best route according to your preferences but your local travel agent will best be able to book these flights for you. We can, however, book the internal flight on your behalf.
Important: please do not book your international flights until you have consulted our office for confirmation on the status of the tour.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
Please note: these prices are subject to foreign exchange fluctuations. This tour does not include any airfares.
- Free airport transfers within 3 days of beginning or end of tour
- All meals from lunch on day 1 to dinner on day 26
- Bottled drinking water
- All lodgings as stated in the itinerary
- Ground transportation in safari-style 4x4 minibuses
- Reserve Entrance Fees
- Gratuities for local guides and services
- All guiding services.
- Any airfares (see above)
- Visa fees
- Optional excursions not mentioned in the itinerary
- Special gratuities
- Telephone calls, laundry or other items of a personal nature.
Click here to email this vacation offer to a friend.
Joined InfoHub: Sep 2007
M17026 is one of the world’s longest established and most highly regarded birding tour companies. Based in South Africa with satellite offices in USA, Australia and New Zealand, their team of professional tour leaders and dedicated office support staff arrange and guide more than 300 annual birding and wildlife tours...