The Maldives - Cetacean and Seabird Cruise Ioffered by supplier M17026 (read about supplier)
Tour Duration: 12 day(s)
Group Size: 10 - 20 people
Specialty Categories: Birdwatching Wildlife Viewing
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: No
Minimum Per Person Price: 3736 US Dollar (USD)
Maximum Per Person Price: 3736 US Dollar (USD)
- Tour Price: (Per Person)Price to be announced
- Spaces Available: Dependent on Ship Capacity.
Our 12-day birding and wildlife tour in the fabulous Maldives will be spent on a comfortable, live-aboard safari cruise vessel. She has a full-time crew of 9 Maldivians, including an experienced captain and a dedicated cook. All cabins are en suite and air-conditioned and although not luxurious, are perfect for our requirements on this birding and wildlife cruise. On your days with us you can expect some of the finest cetacean viewing on the planet; in the last two seasons our lead guide, Dr Charles Anderson, a long time Maldivian resident and well-known authority on cetaceans, has seen an astounding 18 different species! While tropicbirds sail overhead we will scan the waters for such delights as Spinner and Risso’s Dolphins, Sperm Whale, Indo-pacific Beaked Whale and the gargantuan Blue Whale, the largest animal ever to have lived on our planet! On most trips 10 to 12 species are observed and more often than not these aren’t just distant glimpses; many species bowride and can be seen in their entirety at close range! We expect 50 and 90 separate cetacean sightings on our trip, totalling a staggering 2-3000 animals!
This wealth of cetaceans is well complimented by tropical pelagic birds and we will spend our days on the deck scanning for Black-naped Tern, Bulwer’s and Jouanin’s Petrel, Flesh-footed Shearwater and White-bellied Storm Petrel to name just a few. Only 180 species have been recorded from the islands and, as the area is under-birded, many more species (particularly migrants) undoubtedly await discovery. As this tour takes place during the northern spring, Palaearctic migrants are still around so there is a real possibility of getting a first record for the islands!
Please note that our leader may not accompany the expedition unless a minimum of 10 participants are signed up through us. In the case that our leader is not on board, the professional expedition staff will take care of all participants signed up through us.
Tour Fact Sheet:
- Top Birds: Black-naped and White-cheeked Tern, Streaked & Tropical Shearwater, Lesser Frigatebird, White-tailed Tropicbird, White-breasted Waterhen
- Top Mammals: Blue Whale, Indo-pacific Beaked Whale, Dwarf Sperm Whale, Rough-toothed Dolphin, Pan-tropical Spotted and Striped Dolphin
- Habitats Covered: tropical oceanic waters, lagoons, sandy beaches and shorelines, forest
- Expected Climate: warm to hot
- Max Group Size: 10 and expedition leaders
- Tour Pace & Walking: very relaxed pace, little walking, optional snorkeling
- Accommodation: comfortable, live-aboard safari vessel
- Ease of Birding: easy
- Other Attractions: paradise islands, incredible coral reef snorkeling, Manta Rays, star-gazing
- Photographic Opportunities: excellent.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
Please note: these prices are subject to foreign exchange fluctuations. Please contact the office for a detailed itinerary. Price to be announced. Excludes any flights.
Click here to email this vacation offer to a friend.
Joined InfoHub: Sep 2007
M17026 is one of the world’s longest established and most highly regarded birding tour companies. Based in South Africa with satellite offices in USA, Australia and New Zealand, their team of professional tour leaders and dedicated office support staff arrange and guide more than 300 annual birding and wildlife tours...