Cameroon - Rainforest and Rockfowl 2016offered by supplier M17026 (read about supplier)
Tour Duration: 13 day(s)
Group Size: 6 - 8 people
Specialty Categories: Birdwatching Wildlife Viewing
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: No
Minimum Per Person Price: 3510 US Dollar (USD)
Maximum Per Person Price: 3510 US Dollar (USD)
Tour Dates: 18 Apr 2016 - 30 Apr 2016 (13 days)
Tour Price: (Per Person) €3,075 * £2,320 * USD3,510 * ZAR48,710
Single Supplement: €185 * £140 * USD220 * ZAR2,940
Day 1: Arrival in Douala and transfer to Buea
Day 2: Mount Cameroon
Day 3: Buea to Nyasoso
Day 4: Nyasoso (Mount Kupé)
Day 5: Nyasoso (Bakossi)
Day 6: Nyasoso to Bamenda
Day 7: Bamenda Highlands
Day 8: Bamenda to Edea
Day 9: Edea to Campo Maán
Days 10 - 11: Campo Maán
Day 12: Campo Maán to Edea
Day 13: Edea to Douala and depart.
The single supplement cost for this tour will be charged if you wish to have single accommodation. If RBT cannot provide you with a rooming partner for these nights although you choose to share, the single supplement will become applicable. We will make all reasonable efforts to ensure that a rooming partner is found if you do wish to share.
a) Due to constantly fluctuating exchange rates, we quote our tours in 4 currencies. The tour price is however fixed only in the currency printed in bold (Euros), and the actual cost in the other currencies listed will be adjusted according to prevailing exchange rates at the time of final invoicing (usually 4 months before the tour.) The same applies to approximate flight and single supplement rates, which are also quoted in the respective fixed currency.
b) Rates are based upon group tariffs; if the tour does not have sufficient registration a small party supplement will have to be charged.
c) Furthermore, these costs are subject to unforeseen increases in tour related costs and may have to be adjusted as a result.
d) Lastly, we may be forced to change or alter the itinerary and / or the designated leader/s at short or no notice due to unforeseen circumstances; please be aware that we will attempt to adhere as close to the original program as possible.
As noted above, gratuities (drivers, hotel staff, restaurants etc) are included on this tour. However, this does NOT include your leader. If, therefore, you feel that he has given you excellent service, it is entirely appropriate to tip him.
Arrival and Departure Details:
This tour does NOT include ANY airfares. The first day of the Rockfowl and Rainforest tour is allocated as an arrival day, with a group transfer to Buea in the afternoon. Please ensure you are in Douala by lunchtime on day 1. The first day of the Northern Extension is allocated as an arrival day; however, for those who arrive early on this day, we will do some birding in the general Douala area. The Rainforest & Rockfowl tour will conclude in the late afternoon on day 13 at Douala International Airport, and the Northern Extension will conclude in the late afternoon on day 10 at Douala International Airport. If you wish to arrive early and/or depart late and would like assistance in this regard, kindly contact the office.
Douala is the main port of entry for international flights in Cameroon and is well serviced by Kenya Airways, Air France, Ethiopian Airways, South African Airways, and Delta. As our guests come from all over the planet we do not include international flights in our tour prices. We have the capacity to advise you on the best route according to your preferences but your local travel agent will best be able to book these flights for you. We can, however, book the internal flights on your behalf. IMPORTANT: please DO NOT book your international flights until you have consulted the office for confirmation on the status of the tour.
- This Cameroon tour is designed to be an intensive, fast paced birding experience and we will attempt to get good views of as many bird species as possible. At times we will experience physical difficulty when walking up some steep, challenging trails (at a comfortable pace) or on some long drives.
- This tour does require a good level of fitness and participants must be in good general health. Much of the forest birding will be done on foot and may require walking for several hours at a time. Should you have any physical limitations, please notify us in advance of departure. The trails around Mt Cameroon and Mt Kupe are especially strenuous, steep and can be muddy. While the trails are flatter in Campo Maán the temperature and humidity is much higher.
- In some areas, especially in the north, it will be very hot. We will thus make good use of the early mornings and will have a lot of early starts to avoid, as far as possible, birding in the middle of the day. Furthermore, in the rainforest areas in the south the humidity will be very high and potentially uncomfortable. If you are sensitive to heat exposure then you must let the RBT office know in advance of the tour.
- Accommodations vary greatly in Cameroon, from good in the main centres like Douala to very basic in the smaller towns and national parks. We will do our utmost to make your stay as comfortable as possible, but at times we are likely to experience maintenance problems (no running water, no power for e.g.) that are beyond our control. In the smaller towns we always opt for the best available accommodation; however, this is often well below the standard of what you have come to expect from the developed world. We will stay either in hotels, guesthouses or park chalets.
- West Africa is always a challenging place to visit, and the likelihood for things to go awry seems higher than elsewhere in the world, so please do expect some hassles along the way - we will, however, do our utmost to make this tour run as smooth as possible. While we do intend to catch internal flights, these can be unreliable. In the past, cancelled flights have cost us birding time and have disrupted the tour. Over the last few years, since 2006, the flights have worked well but if they are not in operation at the time of this tour then we may need to rely on the local train system. The trains in Cameroon are of a poor standard and we will do everything we can to make the journey as comfortable as possible if we are forced to rely on them.
- On tour it is important to avoid taking photos of any military or police personnel, roadblocks or any government building.
- Much of our time is spent in vehicles, as we do have to cover long distances in order to get to the best areas for birds. The more luggage you pack the less room there is in the vehicle, so it is important for the comfort of your fellow travellers that you do not over-pack. Kindly stick to 20kg (44lb) for check in luggage and 8kg (+-18lb) for hand luggage. Please also note that the road conditions can be poor in many places and the going can be very slow at times due to either muddy roads or roads that are heavily pot-holed. The 4x4 vehicles used to get into the Bakossi Mountains are not in good condition, however these are all that is available in this extremely remote area.
- In Korup NP there can sometimes be large numbers of African Honey Bees, especially in open areas, and this can cause considerable discomfort. If you are allergic to bees then this may present problems as they do sting if aggravated. Carrying the necessary medication in this regard is essential – please contact the office and we will advise you further. If you have any medical problems then please let the office know in advance of the tour.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
Please note: these prices are subject to foreign exchange fluctuations.
- Free airport transfers within 3 days of beginning or end of tour
- All meals from dinner on day 1 to lunch on day 13 for the Rainforest and Rockfowl tour
- Bottled drinking water
- All lodgings during the tour
- All ground transportation
- All national park and other reserve entrance fees
- All guiding services (including tips for local guides and services).
- Visa fees and any flights (see above)
- Any drinks
- Special gratuities
- Telephone calls, laundry and other items of a personal nature.
Click here to email this vacation offer to a friend.
Joined InfoHub: Sep 2007
M17026 is one of the world’s longest established and most highly regarded birding tour companies. Based in South Africa with satellite offices in USA, Australia and New Zealand, their team of professional tour leaders and dedicated office support staff arrange and guide more than 300 annual birding and wildlife tours...