Birding Finland and Swedenoffered by supplier M17026 (read about supplier)
Tour Duration: 12 day(s)
Group Size: 6 - 12 people
Destination(s): Finland Sweden
Specialty Categories: Birdwatching Wildlife Viewing
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: No
Minimum Per Person Price: 4550 US Dollar (USD)
Maximum Per Person Price: 4550 US Dollar (USD)
The most sought-after specialities and definite highlights of the Finland part are certainly the numerous breeding owls, which include Great Grey, Ural, Boreal, Eurasian Pygmy and Short-eared Owl. We will spend significant time in the forests and have an excellent chance of seeing them at close range. Other possible forest species include Black Grouse, Western Capercaillie and Black and Eurasian Three-toed Woodpeckers. We will also visit Finland’s most important wetland, Liminka Bay, which is excellent for waterfowl and shorebirds. Ruff may be lekking here on the surrounding meadows and fields, representing their colourful collars and tufts. Numerous migratory birds come to rest in this area, while young Common Cranes and Whooper Swans spend their summers in the region. Pallid Harrier and Citrine Wagtail are rare breeding birds that we will also target. In Kuusamo, we can expect encounters with a veritable feast of eastern specialities in the expansive taiga forests and surrounds, including breeding Red-flanked Bluetail, Little and Rustic Bunting, Siberian Jay, Grey-headed Chickadee, Bohemian Waxwing, Black and Eurasian Three-toed Woodpecker, Western Capercaillie, Hazel and Black Grouse, Willow Ptarmigan, Red-necked Grebe and Little Gull.
In Sweden, we travel to the Island of Öland in the Baltic Sea, a migrant hotspot where thousands of birds stop-over to feed and rest. Here we will be kept busy with various ducks and waders, including Common Eider, Velvet Scoter, Corn Crake, stunning breeding plumaged Red-necked Phalarope and Ruff, as well as Black-tailed Godwit, European Green Woodpecker, Eurasian Golden Oriole, and Red-breasted and European Pied Flycatcher. We then visit Scania, the southernmost province of Sweden, where we will bird in the lowlands searching for Common Crane, White-tailed Eagle, Golden Eagle, Western Osprey, Eurasian Bittern, Red Kite, Black-tailed Godwit, Golden Oriole and Eurasian Penduline Tit, to name just some. Our accommodations are very comfortable throughout and we can expect long summer days surrounded by spectacular landscapes and birds!
- Tour Price (Per Person): €3,975 * £3,000 * USD 4,550 * ZAR 62,240
- Single Supplement: €400 * £310 * USD 460 * ZAR 6,270
- Flights (Approx cost): US$200.
Day 1: Arrival in Oulu
Day 2: Oulu area
Day 3: Oulu to Kuusamo
Days 4-5: Kuusamo area
Day 6: Fly from Oulu, Finland to Scania, Sweden via Copenhagen, Denmark
Days 7-8: Scania area
Day 9: Scania to Öland
Days 10-11: Öland
Day 12: Öland to Kalmar and departure.
Top Birds: Smew, Great Grey, Boreal, Ural, Eurasian Pygmy and Northern Hawk-Owl, Black Grouse, Western Capercaillie, Red-flanked Bluetail, Little and Rustic Bunting, Siberian Jay, Grey-headed Chickadee, Bohemian Waxwing, Pine Grosbeak, Two-barred Crossbill
- Habitats Covered: lakes, forests, meadows, rivers and wetlands
- Expected Climate: moderate with some colder mornings
- Max Group Size: 12 with 1 tour leader & local birding leaders
- Tour Pace and Walking: relaxed pace with some long walks
- Accommodation: comfortable
- Ease of Birding: mostly easy with some tricky species
- Number of Species Expected: 120+
- Photographic Opportunities: good.
Single Supplement: The single supplement cost for this tour will be charged if you wish to have single accommodation. If we cannot provide you with a rooming partner for these nights although you choose to share, the single supplement will become applicable. We will make all reasonable efforts to ensure that a rooming partner is found if you do wish to share.
- Due to constantly fluctuating exchange rates, we quote our tours in 4 currencies. The tour price is however fixed only in the currency printed in bold (US$), and the actual cost in the other currencies listed will be adjusted according to prevailing exchange rates at the time of final invoicing (usually 4 months before the tour.) The same applies to approximate flight and single supplement rates, which are also quoted in the respective fixed currency.
- Rates are based upon group tariffs; if the tour does not have sufficient registration a small party supplement will have to be charged.
- Furthermore, these costs are subject to unforeseen increases in tour related costs and may have to be adjusted as a result.
- Lastly, we may be forced to change or alter the itinerary and / or the designated tour leader/s at short or no notice due to unforeseen circumstances; please be aware that we will attempt to adhere as close to the original program as possible.
Tipping: As noted above, gratuities (drivers, hotel staff, restaurants etc.) are included on this tour. However, this does not include our tour leader/s. If, therefore, you feel that he/they have given you excellent service, it is entirely appropriate to tip them.
- This tour does spend quite a lot of time birding on foot. Many of the walks are gentle in nature, through the woods and pastures of the lowlands. It does also include both full-day and half-day walks in the mountains, so an enjoyment of walking and a reasonable level of fitness are required. None of the walks are particularly demanding. All walks, however, are optional.
Arrival and Departure Details: This tour does not include any airfares. The tour will depart from Finland’s Oulu Airport (IATA: OUL) on day 1, and will conclude on day 12 at Sweden’s Kalmar Airport (IATA: KLR). Further meeting details in this regard will be forwarded to you in due course.
Flights: Oulu Airport (IATA: OUL) is easily reached via Helsinki International Airport (IATA: HEL), the main international port of entry into Finland. Departure Kalmar, Sweden is easiest via Stockholm International Airport (IATA: ARN). We have the capacity to advise you on the best route according to your preferences, but your local travel agent will best be able to book these flights for you. However: please do not book your international flights until you have consulted our office for confirmation on the status of the tour.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
Please note: these prices are subject to foreign exchange fluctuations.
- Free airport transfers within 3 days of beginning or end of tour
- All meals from lunch on day 1 to breakfast on day 12
- All lodgings
- Ground transportation
- Reserve entrance fees
- Extra activities as mentioned in the itinerary
- All guiding services (including tips for local guides and services).
- Visa fees
- Any flights
- Any beverages (including mini-bar charges at hotels)
- Special gratuities
- Telephone calls
- Laundry and other items of a personal nature.
Click here to email this vacation offer to a friend.
Joined InfoHub: Sep 2007
M17026 is one of the world’s longest established and most highly regarded birding tour companies. Based in South Africa with satellite offices in USA, Australia and New Zealand, their team of professional tour leaders and dedicated office support staff arrange and guide more than 300 annual birding and wildlife tours...