Best of Taiwanoffered by supplier M17026 (read about supplier)
Tour Duration: 12 day(s)
Group Size: 6 - 10 people
Specialty Categories: Birdwatching Wildlife Viewing
Season: May - June
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: No
Minimum Per Person Price: 3975 US Dollar (USD)
Maximum Per Person Price: 3975 US Dollar (USD)
When circumstances allow, we will also allow time for exploring and enjoying the numerous other aspects of Taiwan’s natural biodiversity, the fascinating human culture and, of course, for chasing any reported notable vagrants! Weather should be generally dry and pleasant with a chance of some showers and cold only at the highest points. In addition, the Taiwanese are a super-friendly and welcoming people who have blended the best parts of unspoiled, traditional Chinese culture with the influence of colonial Japan and the native Austronesian culture. Taiwan is free and democratic, has good infrastructure and is considered safe for tourists, all of which should ensure a thoroughly enjoyable and rewarding tour!
- Tour Price (Per Person): €3,580 * £2,640 * USD 3,975 * ZAR 53,710
- Single Supplement: €520 * £390 * USD 575 * ZAR 7,770.
Day 1: Arrival in Taipei and visit the Taipei National Botanical Gardens and NW coastline
Day 2: Taipei to Lower Dasyueshan via Shimen Reservoir
Days 3-4: Lower, Middle & Upper Dasyueshan Road
Day 5: Dasyueshan to Tainan via the Budai Wetlands
Day 6: Aogu Wetlands and drive to the Pingtung area
Day 7: Pingtung to Kenting and ferry trip to Lanyu Island
Day 8: Lanyu Island to Kenting and drive to Huben
Day 9: Huben area and drive to Lower Alishan
Day 10: Lower Alishan & Yushan National Park to Wushe
Day 11: Taroko National Park, Hehuan Pass & Blue Gate Track
Day 12: Wushe to Taipei via Puli Valley and the north coast (Jinshan area) and depart.
- Top Birds: Fairy Pitta, Taiwan Blue (Formosan) Magpie, Swinhoe’s and Mikado Pheasant, Taiwan Partridge, Chinese Bamboo Partridge, Mandarin Duck, Black-faced Spoonbill, Chinese Egret, Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, Asian Dowitcher, Grey-tailed Tattler, Taiwan (Formosan) Whistling Thrush, Ashy Wood Pigeon, Whistling & White-bellied Green Pigeon, Philippine Cuckoo-Dove, Ryukyu & Mountain Scops Owl, Crested Myna, Maroon Oriole, Collared Finchbill, Taiwan Barbet, Taiwan Hwamei, Taiwan & Black-necklaced Scimitar Babbler, Rusty Laughingthrush, Japanese Robin, Siberian Rubythroat, Vivid Niltava, Steere’s (Taiwan) Liocichla, Taiwan Yuhina, White-browed & Collared Bush Robin, Taiwan, Brown-flanked & Yellow-bellied Bush Warbler, Lowland White-eye, Styan’s (Taiwan) & Brown-eared Bulbul, Japanese Paradise Flycatcher, Golden Parrotbill, Taiwan Barwing, Yellow Tit, Taiwan & Dusky Fulvetta, Grey-headed Bullfinch, Taiwan Rosefinch, Flamecrest, Chinese & Japanese Grosbeak
- Top Mammals: Taiwanese Macaque, Red-bellied Squirrel, Formosan Striped Squirrel, Giant & White-faced Flying Squirrel, Taiwan Serow
- Habitats Covered: subtropical lowland forest, coniferous temperate forest, mountains, rivers, marshes, lakes, coastline, islands
- Expected Climate: comfortably warm in lowlands, cool/cold in the highest areas
- Max Group Size: 10 with 1 tour leader
- Tour Pace and Walking: moderate pace with easy walking
- Accommodation: basic but comfortable
- Ease of Birding: mostly unchallenging with some tricky species
- Other Attractions: excellent food, fantastic scenery, great people and cultural attractions, varied habitats, wide array of flora and butterflies, good infrastructure, comfortable, safe and clean
- Photographic Opportunities: excellent.
Single Supplement: The single supplement cost for this tour will be charged if you wish to have single accommodation. If we cannot provide you with a rooming partner for these nights although you choose to share, the single supplement will become applicable. We will make all reasonable efforts to ensure that a rooming partner is found if you do wish to share.
- Due to constantly fluctuating exchange rates, we quote our tours in 4 currencies. The tour price is however fixed only in the currency printed in bold (US$), and the actual cost in the other currencies listed will be adjusted according to prevailing exchange rates at the time of final invoicing (usually 4 months before the tour.) The same applies to approximate flight and single supplement rates, which are also quoted in the respective fixed currency.
- Rates are based upon group tariffs; if the tour does not have sufficient registration a small party supplement will have to be charged.
- Furthermore, these costs are subject to unforeseen increases in tour related costs and may have to be adjusted as a result.
- Lastly, we may be forced to change or alter the itinerary and / or the designated tour leader/s at short or no notice due to unforeseen circumstances; please be aware that we will attempt to adhere as close to the original program as possible.
Tipping: As noted above, gratuities (drivers, hotel staff, restaurants etc.) are included on this tour. However, this does not include your tour leader/s. If, therefore, you feel that he/they have given you excellent service, it is entirely appropriate to tip them.
- This is a traditional fast-paced birding tour with only a moderate amount of walking on usually good surfaces.
- There will be three or four journeys of about 2-3 hours each throughout the trip, mostly done after dark on good freeways.
- Although this Taiwan tour does not require a high level of fitness, participants should be in good general health as much of the forest birding will be done on foot and may require walking for several hours at a time. Should you have any physical limitations, please notify us in advance of departure.
- The vehicles used are comfortable 9-seater VW vans.
- A fair bit of our time is spent in vehicles, as we do have to cover fair distances in order to get to the best areas for birds and animals. The more luggage you pack, the less room there is in the vehicle, so it is important for the comfort of your fellow travellers that you do not over-pack. Kindly stick to 20 kg (44 lb) for check in luggage and 8 kg (18 lb) for hand luggage.
- It is best to change currency into Taiwan Dollars (NT$) on arrival at the airport.
Arrival and Departure Details: This tour does not include any airfares. The first day is scheduled as an arrival day, so you are free to arrive at any time you wish. Further meeting details in this regard will be forwarded to you in due course. The tour will conclude after lunch on day 12 at Taipei Airport. If you wish to arrive early and/or depart late and would like assistance in this regard, kindly contact our office.
Flights: Taipei International Airport (IATA: TPE) is the main port of entry for international flights into Taiwan and is well serviced by most of the world’s major airlines. As our guests come from all over the planet we do not include international flights in our tour prices. We have the capacity to advise you on the best route according to your preferences but your local travel agent will best be able to book these flights for you. However, please do not book your international flights until you have consulted our office for confirmation on the status of the tour.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
Please note: these prices are subject to foreign exchange fluctuations.
- Free airport transfers within 3 days of beginning or end of tour
- All meals from dinner on day 1 to lunch on day 12
- Bottled drinking water
- All lodgings
- Ground transportation
- Reserve entrance fees
- Extra activities as mentioned in the itinerary
- All guiding services (including tips for local guides and services).
- Visa fees
- Any flights
- Any beverages (including mini-bar charges at hotels)
- Special gratuities
- Telephone calls
- Laundry and other items of a personal nature.
Click here to email this vacation offer to a friend.
Joined InfoHub: Sep 2007
M17026 is one of the world’s longest established and most highly regarded birding tour companies. Based in South Africa with satellite offices in USA, Australia and New Zealand, their team of professional tour leaders and dedicated office support staff arrange and guide more than 300 annual birding and wildlife tours...