Malaysia and Borneo - Rainforest Birds and Mammals IIoffered by supplier M17026 (read about supplier)
Tour Duration: 19 day(s)
Group Size: 6 - 10 people
Specialty Categories: Birdwatching Wildlife Viewing
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: No
Minimum Per Person Price: 5560 US Dollar (USD)
Maximum Per Person Price: 5560 US Dollar (USD)
On this fantastic Malaysia and Borneo birdwatching and wildlife tour we visit some of the world’s most famous birding sites including Fraser’s Hill, venue of the legendary annual Bird Race, the grand Taman Negara National Park, Danum Valley, which protects the largest pristine lowland rainforests in South East Asia and fabled Mt Kinabalu. A rich mix of typical South East Asian birds, peninsular Malaysian specialties and Bornean endemics combine to create superb birding. We expect to see several species of fabulous pittas, trogons, kingfishers, woodpeckers and broadbills, as well as leafbirds, ioras, pheasants and a plethora of babblers and bulbuls among many others.
The mammal-watching opportunities are surprisingly good and we have never failed to find the old man of the forest, the Orangutan, as well as the anomalous Proboscis Monkey and numerous species of gibbons and leaf-monkeys. Other animals we are likely to encounter include several civet species, Leopard Cat, the bizarre Colugo and some very impressive squirrels, including the nocturnal Giant Flying Squirrels. Chances exist for Asian Elephant and Clouded Leopard. Tiger, Sumatran Rhinoceros, Sun Bear and Malaysian Tapir also occur but are seldom observed.
Some of the star birds of this tour include the impressive Great Argus, huge Helmeted and Rhinoceros Hornbills, Masked Finfoot, Long-tailed Broadbill, Sultan Tit, Garnet, Banded, Blue-headed and seven other species of pitta, the Whitehead’s trio consisting of a Bornean endemic broadbill, trogon and spider-hunter, Crested Fireback, Black Baza, Great Slaty Woodpecker, the highly sought-after Bornean Bristlehead (the latter is usually placed in its own monotypic family) and even the mythical Bornean Ground Cuckoo!
We will bird along forest trails, from rainforest canopy walkways, boardwalks through mangrove forests and from boats as we cruise along jungle rivers. Join us for this memorable experience as we explore the fantastic riches of tropical Southeast Asia.
Please note that our tour leader may not accompany this tour unless a minimum of 8 participants are signed up. In the case of insufficient sign-ups, a professional and very experienced local guide will lead the tour instead.
- Tour Price (Per Person): €4,880 * £3,620 * MYR 22,750 * USD 5,560
- Single Supplement: €980 * £730 * MYR 4,550 * USD 1,120
- Flights (Approx. cost): US$450.
Day 1: Arrival in Kuala Lumpur, transfer to Kuala Selangor
Day 2: Kuala Selangor to Fraser’s Hill
Days 3 - 4: Fraser’s Hill
Day 5: Fraser’s Hill to Taman Negara National Park
Days 6 - 8: Taman Negara National Park
Day 9: Taman Negara to Mt. Kinabalu via Kuala Lumpur
Days 10 - 12: Mt. Kinabalu
Day 13: Mt. Kinabalu to Danum Valley via Kota Kinabalu and Lahad Datu
Days 14 - 15: Danum Valley
Day 16: Danum Valley to Kinabatangan River
Day 17: Kinabatangan River
Day 18: Kinabatangan River to Kota Kinabalu via Sandakan (flight)
Day 19: Kota Kinabalu to Kuala Lumpur and depart.
- Top Birds: Great Argus, Storm’s Stork, Helmeted and Rhinoceros Hornbill, Whitehead’s Trogon, Garnet, Malayan Banded, Blue-headed and Black-crowned Pitta, Long-tailed, Dusky, Green and Banded Broadbill, Banded and Blue-banded Kingfisher, Red-bearded Bee-eater, Orange-breasted Trogon, Bornean Treepie, Sultan Tit, Crested Fireback, Great Slaty Woodpecker, Bornean Bristlehead
- Top Mammals: Orangutan, Proboscis Monkey, Malaysian Colugo, Bornean Gibbon, Leopard Cat, Red and Thomas’s Giant Flying Squirrel, chance of Clouded Leopard
- Habitats Covered: lowland and montane rainforests, mangroves, rivers, wetlands, coastal mudflats
- Expected Climate: generally hot and humid, cooler in highlands, some rain expected
- Max Group Size: 10 with 1 tour leader & 1 local birding leader
- Tour Pace & Walking: moderate pace, walking on forest trails mostly undemanding but some longer hikes
- Accommodation: comfortable to luxurious hotels and resorts
- Ease of Birding: moderate with some challenging species
- Number of Species Expected: 380 - 420
- Other Attractions: Giant Rafflesia (world’s largest flower), canopy walkways, river boat cruises, Mt. Kinabalu, pristine lowland forest
- Photographic Opportunities: excellent.
Single Supplement: The single supplement cost for this tour will be charged if you wish to have single accommodation. If we cannot provide you with a rooming partner for these nights although you choose to share, the single supplement will become applicable. We will make all reasonable efforts to ensure that a rooming partner is found if you do wish to share.
- Due to constantly fluctuating exchange rates, we quote our tours in 4 currencies. The tour price is however fixed only in the currency printed in bold (US$), and the actual cost in the other currencies listed will be adjusted according to prevailing exchange rates at the time of final invoicing (usually 4 months before the tour.) The same applies to approximate flight and single supplement rates, which are also quoted in the respective fixed currency.
- Rates are based upon group tariffs; if the tour does not have sufficient registration a small party supplement will have to be charged.
- Furthermore, these costs are subject to unforeseen increases in tour related costs and may have to be adjusted as a result.
- Lastly, we may be forced to change or alter the itinerary and / or the designated tour leader/s at short or no notice due to unforeseen circumstances; please be aware that we will attempt to adhere as close to the original program as possible.
Tipping: As noted above, gratuities (drivers, hotel staff, restaurants etc.) are included on this tour. However, this does NOT include our tour leader/s. If, therefore, you feel that he/they have given you excellent service, it is entirely appropriate to tip them.
- It is important for the comfort of your fellow travellers that you do not over-pack. Kindly stick to 20 kg (44 lb) for check in luggage and 8 kg (+-18 kg) for hand luggage.
- Fitness: This Malaysia-Borneo tour does not require a high level of fitness but participants should be in good general health as most of the birding will be done on foot, and may require walking for several hours at a time. Some of these trails can be quite steep and slippery, especially after rain. Should you have any physical limitations, please notify us in advance of departure. Please note that for much of the tour you will be far away from modern medical facilities.
- Accommodation throughout the trip is of a generally high standard and the hotels and resorts that we make use of range from comfortable to rather luxurious. There is no camping on this trip.
Arrival and departure details: This tour does not include any airfares. The tour will depart from Kuala Lumpur on day 1 by 8:00 am so kindly arrive in advance of this time on this day or arrive the day before. Further meeting details in this regard will be forwarded to you in due course. The tour will conclude by mid-afternoon in Kuala Lumpur on day 19. If you wish to arrive early and/or depart late and would like assistance or advice in this regard kindly contact our office.
Flights: Kuala Lumpur International Airport (IATA: KUL) is the main port of entry for international flights into Malaysia and is well serviced by many of the world’s major airlines. As our guests come from all over the planet we do not include international flights in our tour prices. We have the capacity to advise you on the best route according to your preferences but your local travel agent will best be able to book these flights for you. We can, however, book the internal flights on your behalf. Important: please do not book your international flights until you have consulted our office for confirmation on the status of the tour.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
Please note: these prices are subject to foreign exchange fluctuations.
- Free airport transfers within 3 days of beginning or end of tour
- All meals from lunch on day 1 to breakfast on day 19
- Bottled drinking water
- All lodgings
- Ground transportation
- Boat transfers as stated in the itinerary
- Reserve entrance fees
- Extra activities as mentioned in the itinerary
- All guiding services (including tips for local guides and services).
- Visa fees
- Any flights
- Optional excursions e.g. extended night drive at Danum Valley
- All beverages (including mini-bar charges at hotels)
- Special gratuities
- Telephone calls
- Laundry and other items of a personal nature.
Click here to email this vacation offer to a friend.
Joined InfoHub: Sep 2007
M17026 is one of the world’s longest established and most highly regarded birding tour companies. Based in South Africa with satellite offices in USA, Australia and New Zealand, their team of professional tour leaders and dedicated office support staff arrange and guide more than 300 annual birding and wildlife tours...