High Atlas Ski Touring, Moroccooffered by supplier M09905 (read about supplier)
Tour Duration: 8 day(s)
Group Size: 5 - 10 people
Specialty Categories: Skiing & Snowboarding
Season: February - March
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: Yes
Minimum Per Person Price: 875 Pound Sterling (GBP)
Maximum Per Person Price: 875 Pound Sterling (GBP)
Day 1: Arrive in Marrakesh. You will be met at the airport and transferred to the hotel Riad Omar just a few minutes walk from the Jemaa el Fna Square. This is an authentic Moroccan Riad on the edge of the old town. Time to explore – the Souk, Medina, museums, palaces and gardens - and soak up the unique atmosphere of this enchanting and historic city.
Day 2: Depart the hotel at 6 am for the 2-hour journey by private Landcruiser 4x4s along mountain roads to the trailhead at Oukaimeden, which is also the highest ski resort in North Africa. Once on our skis the route takes us over Tizi'n Eddi (2928 m) followed by a descent into the Tachddirt valley and the villages of Tameguist and Tachddirt (2250 m). Stay overnight in the village. Duration: 4-6 hours
Day 3: Ascent of Tizi'n Likemt (3615 m) followed by a stunning descent. At the foot of the mountains the mules will be waiting for us for the interesting trek over the Col de Tamatert (2279 m) to M'Zik (1750 m). Views en-route of the mountain oasis at Imlil. Stay overnight in the village. Duration: 5-8 hours.
Day 4: A long uphill day, walking and skinning to the Toubkal hut (3100 m) Overnight at the hut. Duration: 4-7 hours.
Day 5: Toubkal ascent (4167 m). This is the highest mountain in North Africa and with clear weather the panoramic views from the summit are just astonishing. Depending on snow conditions you may not be able to ascend to the summit on skis but will need to climb in boots to reach the top. Return to the hut via the same route. Duration: 5-7 hours
Day 6: The beautiful ski traverse and ascent of Tizi'n Tadat (3600 m) with stunning panoramic views. This is followed by an excellent descent to Tazarharht hut (3300 m). Night in the hut. Duration: 5-8 hours.
Day 7: Early start for the ascent of Tazarharht (3980 m). Return to the hut and the ski down to M'zik and Imlil. Duration: 6-8 hours. Drive back to Marrakesh via Asni, site of one of the largest souks. Celebrate a great trip with dinner on the terrace enjoying superb views across the city. Overnight at the Hotel Riad Omar**
Day 8: Breakfast in the hotel. Return to the airport for the flight home.
Supplemental Tour Information:
Skill & Stamina: This is advanced ski tour in rugged mountain country with steep ascents and descents up to 40-45º. Previous multi-day ski touring is essential. Emergency rescue facilities in the mountains are very limited and you need to be able to deal with demanding conditions and basic facilities. This is an advanced ski tour with long 6-8 hour days requiring excellent fitness and stamina. Mules are used for carrying gear on and off the mountain so you only need to ski with light packs.
- 2 nights in an authentic Moroccan Riad in central Marrakesh;
- 3 nights in CAF (Club Alpin Francais) refuges on Toubkal and Tazaghart. The refuges are basic mountain huts with dormitory style accommodation and very limited facilities. Food is plentiful and excellent;
- 2 nights in villages either staying with local Berber families or in CAF refuges.
- Ski Touring equipment is essential together with skins, ski & boot crampons and an ice-ax;
- There is no glaciated terrain so harnesses and other climbing equipment is not required;
- As always you must ski at all times with avalanche transceiver, shovel and probe;
- All equipment must be brought with you.
- Easy jet fly from London Gatwick to Marrakesh (2½ hour flight);
- We recommend traveling as a group on the 0730 flight which arrives at 1100 and therefore gives you the afternoon to enjoy the city;
- There are 2 return flight options - 11.35 which arrives back at 15.05; or 20.15 arriving back at 23.45;
- Return flight prices start at £130 per person.
Insurance: 9-day single trip policy including guided ski mountaineering costs £42 per person.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
- All guide fees and expenses, all accommodation & meals (except lunches and evening meals in Marrakesh);
- All transport in Morocco, local porters & mules.
- Travel to/from Morocco, personal insurance;
- Equipment hire, drinks, tips and any other personal expenses.
Click here to email this vacation offer to a friend.
Joined InfoHub: Aug 2003
We are one of the UK's leading teams of mountain professionals specializing in guided mountain adventure. Our worldwide program includes in winter: off-piste skiing, hut-to-hut ski touring, ice-climbing and avalanche awareness; in summer: alpine mountaineering (Mont Blanc, Matterhorn, 4000m peaks) and multi-day...