Spitsbergen - Encounter 2016offered by supplier M17026 (read about supplier)
Tour Duration: 10 day(s)
Group Size: 10 people
Specialty Categories: Birdwatching Wildlife Viewing
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: No
Minimum Per Person Price: 4995 US Dollar (USD)
Maximum Per Person Price: 10495 US Dollar (USD)
We begin our exploration of the Svalbard archipelago in Longyearbyen, capital city of this Norwegian territory. Following our embarkation of the Akademik Sergey Vavilov, our ship and home for the next 9 nights, we sail out of Isfjorden (Ice Fjord) and immediately begin our explorations: from the moment we throw the lines and start our voyage, we find ourselves in the land of the Polar Bear, Beluga, Walrus and Reindeer, while surrounded by towering snow-capped mountains, forbidding glaciers and flower studded tundra – the scenery here is nothing short of breathtaking! Adding life to the vast skies are avian treats including the elegant Ivory Gull, numerous smart looking alcids and the lovely Snow Bunting. This epic high Arctic journey promises a whole host of unforgettable sightings and encounters in one of the most scenically spectacular and pristine parts of our planet!
Please note that our tour leader may not accompany the expedition unless a minimum of 10 participants are signed up through us. In the case that our tour leader is not on board, the professional expedition staff will take care of all participants signed up through us.
-Tour Price (Per Person): from €4,490 to €9,430 * from £3,300 to £6,930 * from USD 4,995 to USD 10,495 * from ZAR 66,420 to ZAR 139,540.
Day 1: Arrival in Longyearbyen, boarding ship and departure
Day 2: Bourbonhamna
Day 3: Krossfjorden
Day 4: Liefdefjorden and Monacobreen
Day 5: Phippsoya – northernmost point
Days 6-7: Hinlopen Strait and Nordaustlandet
Day 8: Fuglesangen and Smeerenburg
Day 9: Poole Pynten, Prins Karls Forland
Day 10: Arrival at Lonyearbyen and departure
- Top Birds: Ivory Gull, chances for Ross’ Gull, King Eider, numerous alcids, Snow Bunting
- Top Mammals: Polar Bear, Walrus, Arctic Fox, Bearded & Ringed Seal, Humpback, Narwhal, Beluga, Bowhead (Greenland), Northern Minke & Fin Whale, Svalbard Reindeer
- Habitats Covered: coastal and pelagic waters, glaciers, polar tundra, pack ice
- Expected Climate: temperate to subzero, sunny and calm conditions expected
- Max Group Size: dependent on ship capacity with 1 tour leader & expedition leaders
- Tour Pace & Walking: easy pace, mostly undemanding walks, some wet zodiac landings
- Accommodation: comfortable expedition cruise ship
- Ease of Birding: easy
- Number of Species Expected: 25-30
- Other Attractions: historical town of Longyearbyen, spectacular Arctic scenery, glaciers, nesting cliffs, whale graveyard, fjords
- Photographic Opportunities: excellent.
The fee for the Spitsbergen Encounter voyage aboard the Akademik Sergey Vavilov, depending on availability, is as follows.
- Triple Share: US$ 4,995 per person sharing;
- Twin Semi Private: US$ 6,495 per person sharing;
- Twin private: US$ 7,295 per person sharing;
- Superior: US$ 8,495 per person sharing;
- Shackleton Suite: US$ 9,495 per person sharing;
- One Ocean Suite: US$ 10,495 per person sharing.
Please note: these prices do not include an optional kayaking supplement of US$ 695.
- Due to constantly fluctuating exchange rates, we quote our tours in 4 currencies. The tour price is however fixed only in the currency printed in bold (US$), and the actual cost in the other currencies listed will be adjusted according to prevailing exchange rates at the time of final invoicing (usually 4 months before the tour.) The same applies to approximate flight and single supplement rates, which are also quoted in the respective fixed currency.
- Please also note that a our tour leader may not accompany the expedition unless a minimum of 10 participants are signed up through us. In the case that a our tour leader is not on board, the professional expedition staff will take care of all participants signed up through us.
- Furthermore, these costs are subject to unforeseen increases in tour related costs and may have to be adjusted as a result.
- Lastly, we may be forced to change or alter the itinerary and / or the designated tour leader/s at short or no notice due to unforeseen circumstances; please be aware that we will attempt to adhere as close to the original program as possible.
Arrival and Departure Details: This tour does not include any airfares. The tour will depart from Longyearbyen in the evening on day 1. Further meeting details in this regard will be forwarded to you in due course. The tour will conclude in Longyearbyen after breakfast (mid-morning) on day 10. If you wish to arrive early and/or depart late and would like assistance in this regard, kindly contact our office.
Flights: Longyearbyen (Longyear Airport) is the main port of entry for international flights in Spitsbergen and is well serviced by Scandinavian Airlines. We have the capacity to advise you on the best route according to your preferences, but your local travel agent will best be able to book these flights for you. However, please do not book your international flights until you have consulted our office for confirmation on the status of the tour.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
Please note: these prices are subject to foreign exchange fluctuations.
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship, coffee and tea throughout aboard the ship
- All lodgings, all miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the programme
- Shore excursions and activities, by Zodiac, as stated in the itinerary
- Lectures by noted naturalists
- All guiding services (including expedition staff and tour leaders).
- Any airfares
- Visa fees
- Arrival and departure taxes
- All meals ashore
- Any drinks
- Optional Kayaking fees
- Tips for ship staff and other special gratuities
- Telephone calls, laundry and other items of a personal nature.
Click here to email this vacation offer to a friend.
Joined InfoHub: Sep 2007
M17026 is one of the world’s longest established and most highly regarded birding tour companies. Based in South Africa with satellite offices in USA, Australia and New Zealand, their team of professional tour leaders and dedicated office support staff arrange and guide more than 300 annual birding and wildlife tours...