Gabon - Rainforest Birds and Mammals 2016offered by supplier M17026 (read about supplier)
Tour Duration: 15 day(s)
Group Size: 6 - 8 people
Specialty Categories: Birdwatching Wildlife Viewing
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: No
Minimum Per Person Price: 8160 US Dollar (USD)
Maximum Per Person Price: 8160 US Dollar (USD)
The birding is equally exceptional, we have a good chance of seeing Africa’s toughest and arguably most attractive bee-eaters – Black-headed and Rosy. Other star species we may see include the beautiful White-crested Tiger Heron, Bare-cheeked Trogon, Shining-blue Kingfisher, African Finfoot, Black-casqued Hornbill, rare Loango Weaver and both Vermiculated and Pel’s Fishing Owls – to name just a handful!
Tour Dates: 14 Aug 2016 - 28 Aug 2016 (15 days)
Tour Price (Per Person): €7,250 * £5,290 * USD8,160 * ZAR112,830
Single Supplement: €690 * £510 * USD780 * ZAR10,740
Flights (Approx. cost): €660
Day 1: Arrival in Libreville
Day 2: Libreville fly to Franceville and drive to Léconi
Days 3 - 5: Léconi
Day 6: Léconi to Franceville, transfer via night train to Lope National Park
Day 7 - 8: Lope National Park
Day 9: Lope National Park and drive to Libreville
Day 10: Libreville to Port Gentil & transfer to Iguela (Loango National Park)
Day 11: Iguela and boat ride on Ipivi Channel & game drive (Loango NP)
Day 12: Iguela and boat ride to Akaka (Loango National Park)
Day 13: Akaka (Loango National Park)
Day 14: Akaka and boat ride to Iguela (Loango National Park)
Day 15: Iguela to Libreville, via Omboue and Port Gentil
Top Birds: White-crested Tiger Heron, Congo Serpent Eagle, Hartlaub’s Duck, Vermiculated Fishing Owl, Plumed Guineafowl, Bates’s Nightjar, White-bellied Kingfisher, Black-headed and Rosy Bee-eater, Black-casqued Wattled Hornbill, Lyre-tailed Honeyguide, African River Martin, Black-collared Bulbul
Top Mammals: Forest Elephant, Forest Buffalo, Red River Hog, Chimpanzee and, with a great deal of luck, Western Lowland Gorilla, Mandrill and West African Manatee
Habitats Covered: rainforest, grassland, woodland, rivers, mangroves, shoreline
Expected Climate: warm and humid
Max Group Size: 8 with 1 leader
Tour Pace and Walking: moderate
Accommodation: basic to comfortable hotels
Ease of Birding: moderate with some tricky forest species
Other Attractions: boat trips, magnificent pristine forest, some of the least explored wilderness in Africa
Photographic Opportunities: good
The single supplement cost for this tour will be charged if you wish to have single accommodation. If RBT cannot provide you with a rooming partner for these nights although you choose to share, the single supplement will become applicable. We will make all reasonable efforts to ensure that a rooming partner is found if you do wish to share.
a) Due to constantly fluctuating exchange rates, we now quote our tours in 4 currencies (see website for all 4 currencies). The tour price is however fixed only in the currency printed in bold (Euros), and the actual cost in the other currencies listed (see website) will be adjusted according to prevailing exchange rates at the time of final invoicing (usually 3 months before the tour.) Approximate domestic flight and single supplement rates have been converted to US$ but are also subject to exchange rate movements.
b) Rates are based upon group tariffs; if the tour does not have sufficient registration a small party supplement will have to be charged.
c) Furthermore, these costs are subject to major foreign exchange fluctuations and unforeseen increases in tour related costs and may have to be adjusted as a result.
d) Lastly, we may be forced to change or alter the itinerary and/or the designated leader/s at short or no notice due to unforeseen circumstances; please be aware that we will attempt to adhere as close to the original program as possible.
As noted above, gratuities (drivers, hotel staff, porters, restaurants etc.) are included on this tour. However, this does NOT include your leader. If, therefore, you feel that he has given you excellent service, it is entirely appropriate to tip him.
- The pace of the tour is generally moderate.
- Gabon is still relatively untouched by tourism and the people are friendly and courteous. It is seen as being inappropriate to hand out sweets or other things to interested bystanders or anyone we may encounter along our tour. Your sensitivity in this regard would be much appreciated.
- We will be birding in some remote areas well away from modern medical facilities. If you have any pre-existing medical conditions, please inform the office in advance.
- Many of the hotels are of reasonable standard during the tour, although in some areas where we will be staying the only available accommodations are basic guesthouses or a tented camp with shared facilities and no hot water. However, the quality of the birding at these sites more than makes up for the minor temporary inconveniences!
- There is one long drive from Lope NP to Libreville and this will take all day. 4 hours of the drive is on bad dusty roads and the rest is on good tar road.
- There is one optional strenuous walk on Principe to search for Principe Thrush and Principe White-eye.
- There are two nights camping at Mt. Carmo on São Tomé. The walk in is fairly strenuous although we will be going at birding pace, and takes approximately 3 hours to get to the campsite.
Arrival and Departure Details:
This tour does not include ANY airfares. Day 1 of the main Gabon tour is allocated as an arrival day and you are free to arrive at any time on this day, preferably before 17:00 so that we can all sit down for a welcome dinner. Further meeting details in this regard will be forwarded to you in due course. The tour will conclude in the late afternoon on day 15 at the Leon M’ba International Airport. If you wish to arrive early and/or depart late and would like assistance in this regard, kindly contact the office.
Leon M’ba International Airport (IATA: LBV) in Libreville is the starting point for the tour. We have the capacity to advise you on the best route according to your preferences, but your local travel agent will best be able to book these flights for you. We can, however, book the domestic flights within Gabon IMPORTANT: please DO NOT book your international flights until you have consulted the office for confirmation on the status of the tour.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
Please note: these prices are subject to foreign exchange fluctuations.
- Free airport transfers within 3 days of beginning or end of tour
- All meals from dinner on day 1 to lunch on day 15 for those on the tour
- Bottled drinking water
- All lodgings
- Ground transportation
- Reserve entrance fees
- All guiding services (including local guides and tour leaders)
- Gratuities for local guides and other staff.
- ANY airfares
- Visa fees
- Any drinks
- Special gratuities
- Telephone calls, laundry and other items of a personal nature.
- For those participants who are participating on both the Main Tour and the Ivindo National Park extension, you will need to pay for your own accommodation, dinner and breakfast (DB&B) of the last day of the main tour (Day 15) prior to the start of the extension.
Click here to email this vacation offer to a friend.
Joined InfoHub: Sep 2007
M17026 is one of the world’s longest established and most highly regarded birding tour companies. Based in South Africa with satellite offices in USA, Australia and New Zealand, their team of professional tour leaders and dedicated office support staff arrange and guide more than 300 annual birding and wildlife tours...