Hiking Tour in the Carpathians Mountains, Romaniaoffered by supplier M21170 (read about supplier)
Tour Duration: 8 - 12 day(s)
Group Size: 2 - 15 people
Specialty Categories: Hiking & Trekking Mountain/Rock Climbing
Season: June - October
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: Yes
Minimum Per Person Price: 500 Euro (EUR)
Maximum Per Person Price: 1200 Euro (EUR)
Day 1: Welcoming the guests at the Bucharest Henri Coanda International. Airport and transfer to Sinaia mountain resort. Short evening walk in Sinaia. Dinner at the hotel (not included). Accommodation: ****hotel in Sinaia.
Day 2: Cultural visits on the way to Făgăraș Mountains. Highlights: Peleș Castle, Sinaia Monastery Sambata Monastery
07.00 a.m. transfer to Sinaia Resort, in the “Bucegi” Mountains (800 – 1000 m);Visit Sinaia Monastery and Peles Castle (former residence of Romanian Royal Family); lunch in Sinaia (not included)
14:00 – transfer to Sambata Monastery (750 m). Visit the monastery. Pitching the tents. Dinner (not included), next day briefing lights out; Accommodation: camping near Sambata monastery: 750 m elevation.
Day 3: Hiking up to Sambata Chalet, easy walk in the area
- Level rating: It’s an easy hike.
- Hiking time: ~ 3 hours
- Height difference: + 1100 m;
- Highlights: The beautiful view from Sambata Chalet.
- Accommodation: Sambata Chalet:1401 m altitude
Day 4: Hiking on Fagaras Mountains. Level rating: It’s a moderate hiking day.
- Hiking time: ~ 7 hours
- Height difference: + 1100 m;
- Highlights: The beautiful view from Moldoveanu Peak, Iezerul Moldoveanu Lake.
07.30: wake up;
09.30 – 12.00: Sambata Chalet – Fereastra Mare a Sambetei (2128 m). The route climbs the alpine valley of Sambata, through the glacial landscape to the main ridge. While climbing to the ridge, you can see a spectacular waterfall on the right wall of the valley (called “Dragusului” Ridge). We will reach the main ridge in “Fereastra Mare” section.
12.00 – 14.00: Fereastra Mare – Portita Vistei (2310 m). From “Fereastra Mare” we climb the “Slanina” Peak (2245m), then we follow the main ridge marking, bypassing the “Galasescu Mare” peak (2471 m), “Galasescu Mic” glacial lake (2180 m), Vistisoara glacial lake, “Fereastra Vistisoarei” (2291 m), finally reaching “Portita Vistei”, our destination for today.
14.30: leaving for the Moldoveanu Peak (2544 m), the highest point of Romania- via the Vistea Peak (2527 m), if the weather allows it; the two peaks are connected through a narrow ridge, which allows a spectacular view on the surrounding valleys.
15.30: taking pictures on Moldoveanu Peak;
16.30: returning to the tents. Lunch;
17.30 – 20.30: leisure time, optional walk to the Iezerul Moldoveanu Lake.
20.30 – 21.30: Dinner. Next day briefing;
22.00: lights out; Accommodation: tents.
Day 5: Hiking on Fagaras Mountains
- Level rate: It’s a moderate hiking day.
- Height difference: + 850 m Highlights: The Portita Vistei area, Podragu Lake
05.00: Optional hike to the Moldoveanu/Vistea Peak, sunrise photos, if the weather allows it and/or the weather was bad the other day.
08.00: “official” wake up;
10.00: Portita Vistei – Podragu Chalet (2136 m). Our route takes us to the Vistea Mare Peak (2527 m) peak, and descents to “Orzanelei” saddle, following the trail under the “Ucisoara” peak (2418 m), to the “Ucisoara” saddle (2312 m). This point offers a wide perspective over the “Ucisoara” Valley. From here the trail climbs close to the ridge, to the “Podul Giurgiului” saddle, near the “Podul Giurgiului” valley top section. We will traverse this valley through the top section, and reach “Podragu” saddle (2307 m). From here our path descends into the “Podragu” valley to the “Podragu” Chalet (2136 m), near the “Podragu” lake, one of our points of interest this stage of our journey.
13:30: arriving at Podragu Chalet where we’ll stay for the night;
14:00: having lunch at Podragu Chalet (not included);
– hike to the Podragelu Lake and return (aprox. 3h): the marked path climbs the east side of the valley to the “Strunga Podragelului” point (2153 m) and descents afterwards into “Podragelul” Valley, where this glacial lake lies. From here we will return on the same route to the chalet.
20:30: dinner; -free time;
22:00: lights out; Accommodation: camping in tents in Podragu Area.
Day 6: Trekking on Fagaras Mountains. It’s a moderate hike
- Hiking time: 10 hours
- Height difference: + 300 m, -1100 m
- Sightseeing objectives: La 3 Pasi de Moarte (3 steps from death), the main ridge.
07.30: wake up;
09.30 – 10.00: Podragu Chalet (2136 m) – Podragu Saddle (2307 m); we follow the same route as the other day, until we reach the crossing point in Podragu saddle.
10.00 – 12.30: Saua Podragu (Podragu Saddle)- “La 3 Pasi de Moarte”, on the main ridge; We head West for Balea Chalet, circling the Podul Giurgiului upper valley and passing by the glacial lake which lies in this valley. The trail climbs a steep side of the valley, to the Mircii peak (2467 m), connected with the Arpasul Mare peak (2474 m) by a narrow ridge which also must be traversed. From Arpasul Mare peak, the marked path descends to the difficult passage called “la 3 pasi de moarte” (three steps from death). – short meal on the route
12.30 – 16:00: “La 3 Pasi de Moarte” (3 steps from the Death) – Capra Saddle, on the main ridge; Turning right, our path circles the Vartopelul Peak and follows the main ridge to another difficult section, which ends at “Fereastra Zmeilor” point. From here you can see the “Fereastra Zmeilor” mountain refuge laying well bellow our altitude. Our route takes us on the steep slopes of “Fundul Caprei” valley, and climbs the south section of “Vanatoarea lui Buteanu” Peak, into a wider location, where a beautiful lake lies (the “Capra” lake – 2241 m)
16:00 – 16:30: Saua Capra (Capra saddle (2315 m) – Balea Chalet (20 37 m); The chalet is now near; we reach first “Capra” saddle and descent for about 30 minutes to the Balea chalet, where we stop for the night.
20:00: dinner (not included); – free time; Accommodation at the Balea Lake Chalet.
Day 7: Transfer from the Europe’s wildest mountains to Europe’s capital of culture in 2007.
9:00: Breakfast at Balea Lac Chalet;
10:00: leaving for Sibiu
12:00 – 19:30: Visit Sibiu, European capital of culture in 2007.
13:00: having lunch in Sibiu (not included)
20:00: have dinner at the guest-house in Răşinari (not included) Accommodation in *** guest-house in Răşinari village, near Sibiu.
Day 8: Relax in Rasinari traditional village and Sibiu.
10:00: visit Răşinari village.
11:30- 16:30: visit Astra museum near Sibiu – Museum of Traditional Civilization, sheltering houses from all over Romania, with the tools used in a traditional household.
13:30: lunch at the restaurant inside museum (not included)
18.00: arriving at Sighisoara
20:30: having dinner (not included). Accommodation in Sighişoara, *** guest-house.
Day 9: Cultural tour of Sighisoara, Rupea, Feldioara, Brasov.
9:00: breakfast at the guest-house in Sighisoara
10:00: Visit Sighisoara early in the morning, then heading up for Rupea citadel ruins.
– Visit Feldioara ruins (probably built by the Teutonic knights)
– Lunch in Brasov (not included)
– Visit Brasov
– Arrival in Predeal resort by evening
20:00 have dinner at the hotel’s restaurant (not included). Accommodation at *** hotel in Predeal.
Day 10: Dracula’s Castle.
9:00: breakfast at the hotel in Predeal
– Transfer and visit Brasov’s medieval center, the Black Church (famous for its organon)
– leaving Brasov, heading for Rasnov.
– Visit Rasnov stronghold, then heading up to Bran
half of the 20th century, serving as summer residence for Queen Mary.
- leaving for Bucharest;
- dinner at the hotel or other location (not included)
- leisure time; Accommodation in Bucharest, *** hotel.
Day 11: Departure day. Schedule according to your flight’s timing. Transfer from Bucharest to Henri Coanda Airport.
Supplemental Tour Information:
- The fee for the "Caving in Carpathians" tour is per person sharing.
- A single supplement of will be charged if you wish to have single accommodation. If we cannot provide you with a rooming partner although you choose to share, the single supplement will become applicable. We will make all reasonable efforts to ensure that a rooming partner is found if you do wish to share.
- The minimum rates is based upon a group size of 12 participants; if the tour does not have sufficient registration (a minimum of 4 paying participants) a small supplement will have to be charged.
- Lastly, we may be forced to change or alter the itinerary and / or the designated M17026 leader/s at short or no notice due to unforeseen circumstances (especially weather conditions); please be aware that we will attempt to adhere as close to the original program as possible.
Tour Customization: This caving tour, as most of our outdoor tours, is a customizable tour. Following alterations to the program can be arranged:
- add/subtract one or more days from the program
- choose your departure point. If you are already in Romania and you don't want to be picked up from Bucharest Intl Airport (or Bucharest), but from another city, please feel free to let us know. If we can arrange transportation for you, we'd be glad to do so.
- choose your departure day. As we work with small groups you and your friends can be the whole group. Please let us know your intended departure day and we'll organize the tour for your preferred dates (subject to our guides' availability and weather conditions)
- choose your preferred accommodation. We think sleeping in a tent is simply the coolest thing for some areas, however if that's not exactly your cup of tea, please let us know and we shall strive to find different accommodation options (guest-houses, hotels, etc). Please note that this customization might impact the rates.
10% discount for InfoHub customer. Request a free gift certificate.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
Click here to email this vacation offer to a friend.
Joined InfoHub: Jan 2012
We are a Romanian travel agency specialized in ecotourism and adventure tours. Our programs cover mostly Transylvania, but we also include other areas of Romania in our tours. Come in our hiking tours and discover Romania's mountains, one of the last unspoiled sanctuary of European wildlife! Our guides are...