8 Days Douro Vineyards Hiking Tour, Portugaloffered by supplier M21306 (read about supplier)
Tour Duration: 8 day(s)
Group Size: 2 - 14 people
Specialty Categories: Hiking & Trekking
Season: January - December
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: No
Minimum Per Person Price: 1069 Euro (EUR)
Maximum Per Person Price: 1159 Euro (EUR)
Day 1: Arrival - Welcome at Porto Airport.
Transfer from Porto to Porto City (00h15) and briefing at lodging.
Day 2: Porto to Pinhão.
Train Journey to Pinhão. Depending on the train schedule choosen by you, the morning is for discovering Porto city. The old town and its granitic houses and narrow streets are ideal for a stroll. The old pear and its surroundings from the 14th century, the old ramparts and the Sé Cathedral from the 12-13th and it’s the magnificent view of the Douro and old town Porto. Once in the train, this will take you into a journey which leads you to the vineyards, from the Douro mouth on the Atlantic to the narrow valley slopes of the Wine region of the Douro. Here the slopes are monumental and the wine culture is ever present. The day stops at Pinhão where you rest at a Quinta, an old wine farm which awaits you with a welcome drink. Porto wine, of course!
Day 3: Pinhão to Sabrosa. Inland Hike Day (14,5km +770m).
From the doorstep till Sabrosa, you’ll cross the wine country of Douro. The hilly slopes are a challenge both for the winners and the hikers. The village of Provosende and its old manor houses will be a pleasant stop both for its stunning views over the hills and the river, as for a little rest. A Small “tasca” (tavern) has an interesting exhibition to have a look at. Crossing the plateau, the vineyard scenery is superb, small villages and old paths take you to Sabrosa. Home of one of the most know navigator from the 16th century, Ferdinand Magellan, his house is still here at Sabrosa.
Day 4: Sabrosa to Alijó. Inland Hike Day (12,4km, +590m).
Starting the day crossing the vineyards down the slopes to meet the river Pinhão where an old bridge awaits for you. Scenery of olive trees and vines on terraces will give you a sensation of the rude life and labor. In the way of Favaios village you’ll pass a farm, Quinta do Portal, a place that has earned medals in international wine contests. Favaios, the small village, is known for its famous wine, the “Favaios” and for its old bakeries, which still use wood ovens, and dates from late 19th century. Alijó is not far from Favaios.
Day 5: Alijó to Vale Mendiz. Inland Hike Day (16km, +370m).
The day starts in the hill over Alijó and Favaios, where there is an iron settlement from the 1st century BC, and then back to entering Favaios to cross the famous vineyards of the Favaios wine. A stop at Quinta de Avessada to taste this wine and others is a must and a good way of taking a rest. Following some very old ways between the farmland you’ll get to a wonderful viewpoint. Wine terraces over the river Pinhão and small villages hanging from the slopes are a stunning view. Vale Mendiz is waiting for you and is one of the villages hanging just a little up from the river Pinhão.
Day 6: Vale Mendiz to Pinhão. Inland Hike Day (10,9km, +330m).
A small hiking day that will take you to stunning views over the Douro river and beyond that, to the south, east and west, this scenery of vineyards and mountains carved by rivers and men are marvelous. That is the UNESCO world heritage site! Back to Pinhão in early afternoon right in time for a boat trip, some two hours of lazy navigations to discover other places along the shores of the Douro.
Day 7: Porto / River cruise.
The day is for returning to Porto via Train, in the way you can stop at Peso da Regua and/or visit the Douro Museum. And then continue to Porto.
- Option River cruise: A small transfer to Regua in the morning train, and this day is a fantastic “fare niente” day, cruising the river back to Porto and the Atlantic Ocean. Cross some stunning locks 14 and 35m of descent at the dams. Appetizer and lunch served on board while observing the views.
Once at Vila Nova, the Gaia peer, enter a wine cellar just across the peer (Available from May to October).
- Option Douto Museum: A small transfer to Peso da Regua in the morning train, and visit to the Douro Museum at Peso da Regua. In the afternoon, transfer to Oporto hotel with a visit to the Casa de Mateus Manor in Vila Real. The Casa de Mateus is an old Manor dated from late 17th century in barroco style. The visit includes the house, gardens and wineries that are part of a domain producing wines and Porto wines, with a good chance to taste them while visiting (Available all year round).
Day 8: Departure - Farewell at Porto Airport.
Believing you have enjoyed this luxuriant piece of land we say goodbye. Our Guide will pick you up at hotel according schedule time. Transfer to Porto Airport (00h15).
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
- 7 Nights Lodging on Comfort | Superior Accommodation. Breakfast included
- Transfer on day of arrival from Airport OPO to the Hotel, followed by Tour briefing
- Transfer from last Hotel to Airport OPO
- Luggage Transfers from Hotel to Hotel every day of the Tour
- Pre Departure Information Pack
- Tour Information
- Information Book (includes Maps, Daily Information, Daily Maps, GPS Device Quick Manual) delivered at departure day at location
- GPS Track and Device
- Mobile Telephone (free to call us 24h / day)
- Liability and Personal Accidents Insurance
- Depending on Season:
May to October: Boat river cruise with lunch.
November to April: Transfer Visiting: Lamego, Douro Museum and Casa de Mateus + Wine Tasting at Casa de Mateus Wineries (5 to 7 wines).
- Low Season » Individual Room Sup +359€
- Medium Season (Apr, May, Out) » Individual Room Sup +399€
- High Season (Jun, Jul, Aug and Sep) » Individual Room Sup +399€
- Easter Week » High Season Supplement Applies (per person on a double occupancy room)
- Guided Tour (please inquire)
Click here to email this vacation offer to a friend.
Joined InfoHub: Sep 2012
We are operating since 2005 and we are a premier adventure travel tour company offering unsurpassed active tours, specialized in walking, hiking and cycling tours, Guided or Self-Guided. Our guided tours feature talented local guides, handcrafted itineraries, authentic cuisine and cosy accommodations, and an in-depth...