There are the marshes and a soda lake, acacia woodland and short grass plains. Annually the migration of wildebeest and zebra find their way here between December and May. While resident, they travel over the vast area always on the search of the sweet new grass. The smell of rain even miles away will cause the herds to move in that direction. The resident wildlife includes giraffe, cheetah, lion, leopard, elephant, various species of antelope and exciting smaller cats such as the caracal. Striped hyena is seen regularly.
Day to Day Itinerary:
Day 1: Arrive into Kilimanjaro via KLM. Guests are met by their guide and transferred to a lodge with views of Mount Meru. Mount Meru Game Lodge. Includes: (B, L, D).
Days 2-3: Early morning leave to Tarangire Safari Lodge. Two days of game drives Tarangire Safari Lodge. Includes: (B, L, D).
Day 4: Drive to Gibb’s Farm, via Lake Manyara National Park with picnic. At Gibb’s there is good walking and bird watching on the outer slopes of Ngorongoro Crater. Gibb’s Farm. Includes: (B, L, D).
Day 5: Morning walking to the waterfalls for bird watching, lunch at the lodge followed by short rest. Drive to Ngorongoro for dinner and overnight at Ngorongoro Serena Lodge.
Day 6: Drive to Ngorongoro Crater for two days game viewing. Ngorongoro Serena Lodge. Includes: (B, L, D).
Day 7: After breakfast depart to Ndutu plains via Olduvai Gorge, lunch at Ndutu Safari Lodge.
Days 8-10: Drive for Ndutu Plains. Three days of game viewing. Ndutu Safari Lodge. Includes: (B, L, D).
Day 11: Drive back to Arusha for lunch and day room, and then road transfer to Kilimanjaro airport for the KLM flight.
Supplemental Tour Information:
Best time for this program is January, February, March, June, July, August, September, October and November.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
- Services of a professional Tanzanian safari guide and 4WD vehicle
- Bed and breakfast at Mount Meru Game Lodge
- Full board on safari days (some picnic lunches)
- Park and camping fees
- Game drives and excursions
- Mineral water, beer and soft drinks in the vehicle
- All drinks except champagne in private tented camps
- Laundry in private tented camps
- Flight from Seronera to JRO
- Transfers and day room at KIA Lodge
- Flying doctor’s membership.
- International flights and departure taxes
- Trip cancellation and medical insurance
- Meals not indicated
- Shopping in Arusha
- Items of a personal nature
- Drinks and laundry at lodges
Also see tour packages in:
Nature & Wildlife