15 Day Southern Lakes and Otago Rail Trail Self - Guided Cycle Touroffered by supplier M15875 (read about supplier)
Tour Duration: 15 day(s)
Group Size: 1 - 21 people
Destination(s): New Zealand
Specialty Categories: Bicycle Touring
Season: September - May
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: Yes
Minimum Per Person Price: 2650 New Zealand Dollar (NZD)
Maximum Per Person Price: 2700 New Zealand Dollar (NZD)
After a rest day in Queenstown, you head to Cromwell and on to the historic central Otago Rail Trail. On the rail trail you tackle gentle gradient off-road riding through the historic gold and farming towns of Central Otago as you head across dramatic backdrop of the Maniototo Plains. From Middlemarch there is a short bike ride and then a spectacular train ride on the Taieri Gorge Railway to your final destination of Dunedin.
- Equipment Included: Trek mountain bike for touring (with road tyres), Ortlieb rear pannier bags, front handlebar bag and comprehensive repair kit. Detailed itinerary, maps and notes on points of interest that you will pass.
- Accommodation: 14 nights accommodation in twin rooms with bathroom ensuite, in carefully selected B&B's, home stays and small friendly motels (breakfast included).
- Difficulty: Days 1-9 Moderate to demanding route with longer days, averaging 60 to 100 km per cycling day. Days 10-15 Moderate route with days averaging 60 kms per cycling day.
Day 1: Collect bicycle & equipment in Christchurch, and cycle to Methven.
Day 2: Methven to Geraldine.
Day 3: Geraldine to Lake Tekapo.
Day 4: Rest day/sightseeing.
Day 5: Lake Tekapo to Omarama.
Day 6: Omarama to Wanaka.
Day 7: Wanaka to Queenstown.
Day 8: Queenstown rest day and sightseeing.
Day 9: Queenstown to Clyde (start of the rail trail).
Day 10: Clyde to Lauder.
Day 11: Lauder to Ranfurly.
Day 12: Rest Day in Ranfurly.
Day 13: Ranfurly to Middlemarch.
Day 14: Middlemarch to Dunedin (via Taieri Gorge train ride).
Day 15: Sight seeing in Dunedin.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
- Low Season (September, October, November, March, April, May) NZ$2650 per person twin share
- High Season (December, January & February) NZ$2700 per person twin share
- Single supplement (on request basis only) NZ$595.
Click here to email this vacation offer to a friend.
Joined InfoHub: Feb 2007
M15875 has been set up by cycle tourers, for cycle tourers. We have extensive knowledge of bike touring in New Zealand, gained through tens-of-thousands of kilometers cycling all the routes we recommend. We have used the knowledge we have gained to put together these self-guided tour routes because we think they offer...