This bicycle vacation starts from Christchurch with a gradual warm up with mainly flat riding on the first 2 days as you head through to the quiet country towns of Methven and Geraldine. From Geraldine you tackle some of the moderate hills that follow for the remainder of the trip as you cycle through to the spectacular lakeside town of Tekapo, where many of the scenes for the ‘Lord of the Rings’ were shot. From Tekapo it’s alongside the canals and glacier feed Southern Lakes and through the dramatic landscape of the McKenzie Basin to Wanaka Queenstown, the Adventure capital of New Zealand. After a rest day in Queenstown you head to Cromwell and onto the wild West Coast and its spectacular glaciers and rain forest.
Difficulty: Moderate-to Demanding route with longer days, averaging 70 to 140kms per cycling day (42-85miles/day).
Day 1: Meet and collect bicycle in Christchurch and drive to Methven before cycling to Geraldine (80km/49miles).
Day 2: Geraldine to Lake Tekapo (90km/55miles).
Day 3: Rest Day /Sightseeing or join us for a day trip to Mount Cook, New Zealand’s highest mountain.
Day 4: Lake Tekapo to Omarama (90km/55miles).
Day 5: Omarama to Cromwell (90km/55miles).
Day 6: Cromwell to Queenstown (75km/46miles).
Day 7: Queenstown "rest day" and sightseeing.
Day 8: Queenstown to Wanaka (70km/46miles).
Day 9: Wanaka to Haast (140km/85miles).
Day 10: Haast to Fox Glacier (140km/85miles).
Day 11: Rest Day.
Day 12: Fox Glacier to Hokitika (120km/73miles).
Day 13: Hokitika to Greymouth (80km/49miles).
Day 14: Leave Greymouth and return to Christchurch.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
- NZ$5000 p.p. twin share
- Single Supplement (on request basis only) NZ$1250 ($2600 for Christchurch –Queenstown section /$2500 for Queenstown to Christchurch only).
- Bicycle Hire and Equipment (27 Speed Shimano Deore Trek spec. bicycle)
- Support Vehicle and local driver
- Breakfast and Lunch each day (excluding breakfast on day 1)
- 13 night’s accommodation in quality accommodation (based on twin /queen share rooms with bathroom ensuite (where available).
- Daily tour itinerary and maps
- Cell phone for emergency use.
- Evening Meals (though we are happy to offer our suggestion of local favorites each night and can assist with booking if required)
- Drinks (apart from water)
- Accommodation prior to tour commencement, or after tour completion
About This Supplier
||Location: New Zealand
Joined InfoHub: Feb 2007
M15875 has been set up by cycle tourers, for cycle tourers. We have extensive knowledge of bike touring in New Zealand, gained through tens-of-thousands of kilometers cycling all the routes we recommend. We have used the knowledge we have gained to put together these self-guided tour routes because we think they offer...
View this supplier profile | Submit your review
Also see tour packages in:
Australia and Oceania
Outdoor: Land Rambler
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend