Chamonix Skiing Weekend, Franceoffered by supplier M09905 (read about supplier)
Tour Duration: 3 - 7 day(s)
Group Size: 2 - 8 people
Specialty Categories: Mountain/Rock Climbing Hiking & Trekking
Season: June - September
Airfare Included: No
Tour Customizable: Yes
Minimum Per Person Price: 450 Pound Sterling (GBP)
Maximum Per Person Price: 450 Pound Sterling (GBP)
Aiguille d'Entrèves Traverse (3604 m) – another interesting but easy climb to the summit of this granite spire, most on which is on rock. Towards the summit there is a narrow and exposed ridge. The descent is down the east ridge. The starting point is either the Aiguille du Midi or the Rifugio Torino. Arête des Cosmiques – one of the most popular routes in the Mont Blanc Massif. A relatively easy but exposed climb on both rock and ice usually requiring crampons. The starting point is once again the Aiguille du Midi or Refuge des Cosmiques. The ascent takes 4-5 hours.
Le Balcon de la Mer de Glace – starting in Chamonix take the train to Montenvers. Descend using the fixed ladders on to "la mer de glace" - the largest glacier in the Mont Blanc Massif. Cross the mer de glace and ascend using ladders on to the path (le Balcon) round to the Refuge du Coucercle. Duration about 5-6 hours.
Les Dômes de Miage Traverse – a 2-day outing of moderate alpine mountaineering. The traverse crosses 3 summits and the route is on both rock and ice, much of which is along an exposed but well tracked path on the ridge of the arête. The start is from Les Contamines on the west side of Mont Blanc, from where it is an easy 5 hour climb to the Refuge des Conscrits. Day 2 starts with the traverse of the Tré la Tête glacier and the ascent to reach the Col des Dômes. Continue along the vertiginous edge to the Central Dôme (3633 m) and the Occidental Dôme, the highest point of the route. Descend back via the south-east side to Les Contamines. Total duration on day 2 is 10 hours.
Supplemental Tour Information:
- Your guides: All our climbing trips are led by fully qualified IFGMA mountain guides who live all year in the Chamonix Valley and know the area intimately. The groups are kept small so you benefit from their knowledge and expertise and get inspired by their enthusiasm.
- Accommodation and meals: Two nights will be spent in one of the many hotels in Chamonix or Argentiere. Our preferred hotels are the Hotel L'Arve and the Hotel Faucigny. One night is spent in one of the many high mountain huts, of which the Refuge des Cosmiques is probably the best option as it is easily accessible from the Aiguille du Midi and can be used as a base for many of the routes highlighted above. In the huts evening meals are included and are generally nourishing and plentiful. Vegetarians can be catered for although there is usually only 1 menu option.
- Climate: The Alps generally has a very pleasant climate throughout the spring, summer and autumn with warm days and cool nights, with daytime temperatures in the valley around 24 - 28°C. At high altitude the temperature often goes down below -10 and can feel even colder with wind chill.
- Note: The itinerary is flexible depending on weather and ground conditions and preferences/ambitions of the group.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
- All guide fees and expenses
- 2 nights b&b hotel accommodation
- 1 nights half board accommodation in mountain huts
- local transfers and uplift costs.
- Evening meals in the valley
- Personal insurance
- Equipment hire
- Travel to and from the Alps.
Click here to email this vacation offer to a friend.
Joined InfoHub: Aug 2003
We are one of the UK's leading teams of mountain professionals specializing in guided mountain adventure. Our worldwide program includes in winter: off-piste skiing, hut-to-hut ski touring, ice-climbing and avalanche awareness; in summer: alpine mountaineering (Mont Blanc, Matterhorn, 4000m peaks) and multi-day...